Gimp gimp gimp !! :o)

I look forward with great impatience to the version with RAW opening since GIMP: o)))

This is for Gimp 2.9.5 ('buntu ppa)

I was wondering where the send-to-gimp button is in Rawtherapee. Maybe because of the interface it is there but not obvious to me.

This came about because of this recent ‘addition’.

Not keen on Darktable, too intrusive, wants to take over, but Rawtherapee is ok, on installation about 40-50 MB with dependencies, (5.2-2dhor from 'buntu ppa). I could accept that if it Gimp calls directly or there is a ‘Send to Gimp’

Up to now I have used a Gimp 2.9.5 nufraw plugin but this no longer works straight from Gimp. If I have both the nufraw plugin and the standalone nufraw installed I can open in the standalone which then sends it to Gimp.

All a bit clunky. Who decides that those two applications are the only ones for Gimp? Don’t answer that, ‘rhetorical question’. I am sure it will sort itself out over time.

“One mustn’t criticize other people on grounds where he can’t stand perpendicular himself” – Mark Twain

All so true

As Mark Twain quotes can be used for almost everything, here’s a generator for things he forgot to state. :grin:

I must point out I was not criticising the Gimp developers, I was just wondering.

When it comes to Mark Twain, anything goes

Eschew all conglomerations of flatulent garrulity, jejune babblement and asinine affectations. Let your extemporaneous descantings and unpremeditated expatiations have intelligibility and veracious vivacity, without rhodomontade or thrasonical bombast.

Thank you, that is very similar to the ‘as-now’ nufraw example. Starting an external application which fires the image into Gimp. I remember that from some time in the past.

This is the bit that I can not fathom. When integrated into Gimp.

With Rawtherapee installed, Gimp 2.9.5 from the File → Open menu will open the image in Rawtherapee, which is great.

But then I am stuck, how can I get that into Gimp? Been throught all the little icons. Is there one?

According to this page which I wrote but haven’t been able to personally test, “Just open a raw file from GIMP. A RawTherapee editor window should open automatically, which you can use to tweak your raw file. When you close the window, the image gets imported into GIMP.”
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/GIMP_Plugin

what @Morgan_Hardwood said. just close the RT window, and the image will load into gimp

Thanks for the info, at least now I know how it works. Unfortunately not happening when I close the rawtherapee window. The ‘open’ dialogues remain and Gimp 2.9.5 stays stubbornly blank.

The plug-in is there

I am using Gimp 2.9.5 commit fd63d96b
now 2 days old, from the 'buntu ppa in a Kubuntu 16.04

I will do a bit of digging, maybe compile the plugin again from your reference.

probably a bug in Gimp.

Do you see something like this (i.e. everything greyed out except for the cancel button)?

That just means that Gimp is waiting for RT to finish developing the image
 depending on the output size and the speed of your machine, that might take a few seconds

Eventually, it should work though:

If closing the window is how this works, there should probably be a popup when opening RT (or any program used to import a raw to gimp) that says that you should close the window when finished. This is not at all intuitive: Closing a window feels like losing work not submitting it (that would be an “ok” button of some sorts).

fair point. I’ll try to put something up :+1:

Yes, does work although there was a delay. I ran Gimp from a terminal and I could see something was happening. eventually opened.

thanks once more.

Maybe obvious, but still:
Actually usually I am opposed to anything popping up and I think I am not alone with this. So there should be an option to not show it anymore.

yes, that was implied, but I should have stated it explicitly :+1:

done:

2 Likes

Care to elaborate?

Everyone has their own preferences, would be a boring world if everyone was the same.

Nice application but not for me. When I first tried Darktable, some time ago, my first impressions, I do not need another file manager, why does it need to be one.

To be fair to this thread which is Gimp and RT, I just tried Darktable as a plugin to open a RAW image. With the caveate that the DE is KDE I get this.

Denying the KDE wallet a few times (Why that? my regular machine has Wallet disabled) and closing the warning, it was 25 seconds to open/analyse the image to get to the state with the little icon imge at the bottom. All I want is that image into Gimp, taking the hint from RT I closed the window, waited 20 seconds and got the image into Gimp.

Less than a minute but subjectivly seemed much longer. You think, What has gone wrong? Why is it not opening? all the things when nothing happens.

What I really want is a Gimp plug-in that will just open the d
 file. I have one but it does not work any more. Opens an image up almost imediately, set the output to 16 bit, 5 seconds into Gimp 2.9.5

Now there is the challenge to RT/Darktable - make one of those.

@agriggio The above sounds like another pop-up after closing RT is needed, saying something like: “RAW is being converted, the result will soon be displayed in Gimp.”, possibly with a progress bar :wink: