Gimp is producing text errors when it´s exporting to pdf

Hello friends !
I am a beginner in Gimp.
When I export it to jpeg the image is perfect, but when I export it to pdf the texts overlap.
My images exported to pdf always have the texts overlapping something
I can’t find explanation to solve this problem.
Can someone help me ?
Regards.
Carlos Mairinque

There are many options when you export as PDF, which ones are you using?

If you don’t need to export “Layer as pages”, I would recommend to make a “New from Visible” drag and drop that new “Visible” on the tool box > this action will open it as a new image, then export this new image as pdf, you should not have any problem.

Note: Doing a “New from Visible” (Layer > New From Visible) instead of merging all the layers will allow you to keep ALL your work, all layers, all groups, alive selections, editable texts, guides and so on… as XCF,

Something like this;

https://i.imgur.com/Vgtdb8L.jpg

The usual reason is the fonts are not available to PDF reader, then there might be some offset applied to the Gimp text. The Gimp PDF export still does not completely embed the font in the PDF.

The Gimp solution is: Save your work as a Gimp .xcf then flatten the image to a single layer and export that as a PDF.

Gimp is not the best tool for creating PDF’s and they are on the large side.

Lots of text then use the DTP program Scribus.

If it is say, just a book cover, Make the graphic in Gimp but then Inkscape to add text as a vector.

For a small file size, export as a jpeg and use Imagemagick, very easy command “magic in.jpeg out.pdf”

1 Like