Gimp / Krita reuse/change Selection and add filters

Hi,

I’m quite new to image manipulation in gimp and I’m not sure what’s best practice for a specific task. So maybe someone could help me.

So, I have an image and I want to make some adjustments to a part of this image. For example to make a person in the picture brighter and add a blur. Best would be if I would have the possibility to undo and redo the changes afterwards (maybe through using layers or something?). Also I want to be able to change the selected area afterwards. And it would be also really nice if I could change the transition between selected part and rest of the image.

I hope i could clarify what I need. If someome knows an easy way in krita I’m also interested to hear your advice.

thanks in advance and regards,

wapitifass

In krita, use adjustment layers.

In gimp I’d make a few new layers, one for the person cutout, and then duplicate that new layer and add the blurring, since gimp doesn’t have adjustment layers yet.

Is it possible to change the size of the selection of these adjustment layers afterwards?

But then I can’t change the size of the selection in gimp afterwards am I right?

You can adjust the masking after the fact.

Providing you save the selections as channels and use Gimp .xcf file format you can restore any selection at a later date.

The transform tools all have a selection mode to scale / shear / rotate - depends on the tool.

Too many permutations but as an example https://i.imgur.com/BWRc9Su.mp4

• Duplicate your layer
  • Apply the change to the whole layer
  • Use a layer mask to determine which parts of the top layer are opaque (white, keep effect), transparent (black, initial) or in between (gray, partial effect).
  • As long as you don’t “apply” the mask you can re-edit it to change where/how the effect applies.
  • You can use Brightness-Contrast/Levels/Curves on the mask to adjust the black/white transition.

Ok, this is great. But if I want to apply different effects to the same layer and later undo them I have to add a layer for every effect and change the opacity of the upper layers to combine the effects.

2022-04-10_19-18

So here for example I have to change the opacity of blur level to let’s say 50%.

And if I want to change the mask afterwards I have to copy it to all upper layers.

But it’s so far the best workflow. I’ll check krita with adjustment layers.

thanks for the hint. This is very helpful as well.

So, I’ve tested krita and it comes with exactly what I was looking for. So for my purpose it’s best to add a transparency mask to the image and select the area I want to apply the filter to with a white pencil. I can also make transitions there. Afterwards I can add a filter mask and add every filter in one seperate layer. That’s it. I can afterwards remove the layers if I don’t want an effect anymore and I can also change the selection of the transparency mask if I need to apply the filters to a bigger or smaller area.

2022-04-11_21-47

Propably most of you already knew this but I wanted to post it to make the thread complete.

Tanks peeps for your help.

wapitifass

2 Likes

For Krita: You can also use clone layer instead of layer copy. It creates a linked copy of image in a new layer.

1 Like