Gimp more modern icon theme

Something like this one? Any thoughts and suggestions?

This is what “modern” looked like in 2010. There are simply too many colors, fine details and too much shading to be considered good in 2020’s. KISS. Pictograms are more about the metaphor than about representing the real thing.

4 Likes

"This is what “modern” looked like in 2010.!

And this is what modern looked like in 1990.

Untitled2

“There are simply too many colors, fine details and too much shading to be considered good in 2020’s. KISS.”

Agree that some of them are too colorful and have too many fine details, which can be easily fixed.

But these

Untitled1

are less colorful than these ones

Untitled2

I am not saying that the proposed “modern look” is a finished article. The ones I posted are png ones, and I want to create svg icons which scale much better and are much sharper.

“Pictograms are more about the metaphor than about representing the real thing.”

Agreed again. No need to state the obvious. The trouble is the Gimp icons are so hopelessly old fashioned that it hurts. Gimp looks like a piece of software from 90’.

You can switch them out for whatever tickles your fancy, so have at it. Mine are all gray and I’m used to them by now.

Frankly, since 2019, whenever I need an icon, I use Icons | Font Awesome and done. They are boring and efficient.

There is so much custom iconography that it is nauseating. No need to create more unless you have very specific tastes or requirements.

PS - if you have time to waste, you could make icons out of pure CSS. That said, I doubt GTK CSS can support that. See e.g.: