Gimp Plugin Rawtherapee

Hello,

I have some problems with Rawtherapee and Gimp working together.
Some facts:

• Ubuntu 18.04.03
  • Digikam 6.4.0 (AppIamge)
  • Rawtherapee 5.7 (AppImage)
  • Gimp 2.10.12 (Snap)

What I want to do:
1.) Open a RAW-file in DigiKam and then open it in Rawtherapee and after some adjustments open it through Rawtherapee in Gimp
OR
2.) Open a RAW-file in Digikam and than open it with Gimp, RawTherapee starts and if I close it Gimp opens.

So both the ways don’t work:
1.) If I’ve opened the Raw in RawTherapee and want to go on in an external editor, Gimp is starting and prompts following message: »/tmp/_R030343.tif« could not be opened: Error opening file /tmp/_R030343.tif: No such file or directory
→ I checked the tmp folder and the file is there.
2.) If I open the RAW with Gimp it prompts two error messages:

• Procedure call failed »gimp-file-load«:
    Error opening file /tmp/gimp/2.10/gimp-temp-105900.tif: No such file or directory
  • »_R030343.dng« could not be opened: The plugin Adobe DNG Digitales Negativ-Raw could not open the image.

Any suggestions what I could do to get this running?

cheers

Ok, I fixed one way. I can now start Gimp out of Rawtherapee. I uninstalled the snap and instead used the ppa. But, I can’t find the plugin in Gimp to open raws with rawtherapee. Any experiences how to manage this if I use an AppImage of RawTherapee? I already made an symbolic link to the AppImage in one of the bin folders where $PATH points, because the wiki said it should work afterwards. But it doesn’t. Andy ideas? I hope I could explain the issue right. I have the feeling that it’s a bit confusing. So let me know if you need more infos. Thanks in advance.
Moritz

The snap was sandboxes off from the rest of your system, which is probably why it didn’t work.

As a first check, could you tell us if typing rawtherapee on the terminal launches RT from the AppImage? This will confirm if the paths and symlinks are set up properly.

Next thing will be to run gimp from the command line, store the terminal output into a log file, and post the log here so that we can inspect it:

gimp >& ~/gimp-log.txt

You can use a file hosting website like filebin.net to share the gimp-log.txt file.

1 Like

Hi,

• so rawtherapee launches from the Terminal.

and that’s the gimp output.

Could be but strangely the gimp from ppa works almost fine with the snap from darktable. there are also some issues but it doesn’t seem completely sandboxed.

For the snap, the developer of the snap has to manually list exceptions to the sandbox. That sounds tedious to me.

Is there any best practice to use more or less stable branch of Rawtherapee, Digikam, Darktable and Gimp on Ubuntu LTS? I really like the AppImage but Snap, PPA and Flatpak seem a bit tricky. Maybe someone has experiences with Ubuntu 18.04. and this software.

Sans darktable, which doesn’t have an appimage, the others you mention do. That’s probably the easiest way on am LTS.

I