gimp-python not available in Ubuntu 20.04

Since this thread is the top hit for a Google search for the gimp-python problem, I’ll post the solution that I found. Ubuntu 18.10’s gimp-python can be manually downloaded and installed into Ubuntu 20.04. One other completely missing missing package, python-gtk2, also needs downloading. All other dependencies can be installed normally from 20.04. No security problems since it’s all from Ubuntu. No forced installation to ignore missing dependencies. “Heal Selection” works, and unlike the flatpak version, GMIC QT works.

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/pygtk/python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gimp/gimp-python_2.10.8-2_amd64.deb

sudo apt install gimp gimp-plugin-registry gimp-gmic
sudo apt install python python-cairo python-gobject-2

sudo dpkg -i python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i gimp-python_2.10.8-2_amd64.deb
1 Like

The security issues may come, not because of the source of the packages, which is trusted, but because those packages won’t receive updates, for instance in case vulnerabilities are found in the future.
And even if they receive updates from Ubuntu, you’ll have to manually download and update again, I think, they won’t be part of the automatic updates with this installation, I’m quite sure.
So, if strict security is to be maintained on the machine, those packages must be tracked by hand.

My workaround, on Majaro, is to use the AppImage from @Carmelo_DrRaw, and it works quite well.
Once I move to Ubuntu 20.04 on my other machine (unless I change distro altogether…) I’ll probably use the same workaround when I need the python plugins.

Mixing packages from different releases of a distribution is absolutely not recommended. It will eventually break.

The AppImage works great!

2 Likes

That is interesting to hear. Currently I’m running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (Based on Ubuntu 18.04). So I think I’ll face similar issues with regards to Python 2 when it comes to upgrading to a Ubuntu 20.04 based distro. So I think I’ll download the Gimp appimage to save any hassles of missing python2 libs! :slight_smile:

1 Like