Community-built software

Welcome

This post is meant to house links to download software built by the community that does not have a proper distribution place (… or we’ll become the distribution place?). You should have a look at our software page for a large list of software and links to their home pages.

Some of the provided or linked packages provide software in alpha or beta state and are hosted here for the tester’s convenience. If you are uncertain which version to install, please check the software’s original home page or feel free to ask in the forum.

Community-built software

GIMP Image Editor

GIMP AppImage x86_64 for GNU/Linux (by @Carmelo_DrRaw)

Installation instructions here and video tutorial here.

The above links provide the latest development version of GIMP in the form of an AppImage package, which can be downloaded and run on virtually any Linux distribution without installing additional packages.
The AppImage should work out-of-the-box on most Linux distributions. If it doens’t work on your specific system, you can try this alternative version with additional libraries included in the bundle.

The GIMP AppImage package also contains few useful add-ons:

• the base set of MyPaint brushes
    *G’MIC plug-in, a large collection of very useful image filters
  • RAW loading plug-ins: nuFRaw, Darktable and PhotoFlow
  • PhotoFlow filter plug-in for non-destructive editing
  • Resynthesizer plug-in, for texture synthesys and selective healing
  • Liquid Rescale plug-in, for feature-preserving image scaling

Some tutorials that explain how to use the GIMP and PhotoFlow AppImage packages together can be found here, here and here

GIMP for Windows & Mac (by @partha)

GIMP for Windows and McGimp for Mac (In the site’s sidebar).
The site provides the latest development version of GIMP, bundled with several plug-ins: G’MIC, PhotoFlow, the Nik Collection and Microsoft “Image Composite Editor” (panorama stitching).

Both “standard” and Elle’s “CCE” versions are available for download.

RawTherapee

Windows and Mac builds are on this thread.

PhotoFlow

Updated packages for Windows, OSX and Linux (in AppImage format) are regularly provided here.

Filmulator

The filmulator AppImage is available here.

LuminanceHDR

Download the latest AppImage from here.

HDRMerge

Download the latest AppImage from here.

Scripts and Extras

Contributions

If a piece of software already on the list needs an update or you’d like to see a piece of software listed here, please ping @paperdigits or post to this thread.

6 Likes

@paperdigits & @patdavid Wouldn’t it be a good idea to have a link from the Software page to this discussion page? - I found this more or less by accident and had quite a lot of troubles trying to re-locate it later.

1 Like

I think once this post has a little more content, we should think about pinning it.

The software page is for established projects, this post isn’t one of them.

What @paperdigits said, but I do think we can go ahead and pin this now if @paperdigits wants to.

I suppose we could also add at least a link or line to /software/ that can point folks to this post with a disclaimer, etc… What do you think @paperdigits? Maybe a line at the end of the intro paragraphs on that page? I’ll mock something up shortly.

You can add the link if you’d like, but I won’t add it. This post is a convenience to our users and I don’t want it to become a burden to the software authors in the case that we end up getting lots of drive-by downloads from unregistered users.

I wanted to pin it, but when I try and pin it asks me for a duration, but I wanted to pin it forever.

:thumbsup:

Pinning has friction added to it by design. Go ahead and give it a long date in the future if you’d like (or a set duration that it should probably be re-visited).

We can revisit it in 2017 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi - don’t know much about AppImage - I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 and have the standard version of GIMP running on it - if I install this one will it “mess up” the standard one?

It shouldn’t. The AppImage will not install custom libraries or write anything to your system folders.
Moreover, the GIMP configuration will be written under

$HOME/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9 

instead of the default

$HOME/.config/GIMP/2.9 

folder.

@Carmelo_DrRaw thanks - I have taken the plunge and very glad I did. All seems to be working fine. Thanks for the AppImage.

2 Likes

@Carmelo_DrRaw can I take over building the alternate AppImage? I’m afraid the latest doesn’t work on my Debian 8 machine.

@paperdigits I have no objections that you take over the creation of the alternate AppImage. However, I would suggest to first try to fix the problem on Debian 8 with the standard one… I remember having managed to reproduce it with a “Debian Dog” Live CD, if I’m not wrong.

In any case, the up-to-date building recipe can be found here. The “alternate” version is generated by setting FULL_BUNDLING=1 at the beginning of the script…

1 Like

In will try and solve it on Debian first, as you’ve suggested.

Hi I downloaded from the top link (standard version) shouldn’t you say it’s for 64bit machines only? it would not run on my system but then I noticed on the end of the file name it says x86_64.AppImage
maybe the newer versions of gimp are made just for 64bit computers?

I’ve updated the description for the AppImages. I don’t believe we’re building a 32-bit AppImage at this time, as nobody has requested a 32-bit version as far as I know. It is possible to get a GIMP 2.9.x version in 32-bits, just nobody has done it :smiley:

Thanks for updating the description to make it clearer. I will give it a try if I get a newer laptop :slight_smile:

On my Debian testing the GIMP CCE with does not load G’MIC filters with errors like these

GIMP-CCE-Error: Unable to run plug-in "gmic_film_cluts.gmz"
(/tmp/.mount_z76j6D/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_film_cluts.gmz)

Failed to execute child process "/tmp/.mount_z76j6D/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_film_cluts.gmz" (Permission denied)

/home/serg/.config/GIMP-CCE-AppImage/2.9/plug-ins/gmic_gimp: relocation error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30: symbol asn1_decode_simple_ber, version LIBTASN1_0_3 not defined in file libtasn1.so.6 with link time reference

@Carmelo_DrRaw It seems like the version of Kerberos on Debian is too old for the lib specified in the AppImage build file.

Could you paste here the exact error message you are getting? I’m updating the GIMP AppImage at the moment, so I can have a look and try to fix that.