GIMP tutorials on Youtube

Hey guys!

For those of you who haven’t seen me on the forum before, my name is Rico and I create tutorials on Youtube. The past few months I’ve been focused on darktable tutorials. However, I did and do make tutorials for GIMP as well. To keep things as pure as possible, I’ll keep my GIMP tutorials out of the darktable post, and the darktable tutorials out of this GIMP post. Everytime I’ve uploaded a tutorial on GIMP, I’ll update this thread. That way the forums won’t get spammed with posts :). Just like I’m doing with my darktable tutorials.

Here’s 3 tips to remove anything from your photo in GIMP.
I’d love to hear your feedback, because that way I can learn how to improve myself and deliver better content.

Greetings,

Rico

12 Likes

Hello @Rico ,

Just watched some of your YouTube videos concerning Darktable and Gimp and I like very much your channel.

Thanks a lot for recording and posting your videos: they are extremely well done IMHO :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good tutorial, @Rico!

You have very well managed to show some possibilities how to remove something from the image. This is a nice demonstration of the capabilities GIMP offers as a serious image editing tool.

As for my feedback, I have a few suggestions:

1. I have noticed that your screen resolution - although it looks very good - is a bit too high to see the details; fonts are only readable if you are watching a highest resolution version of the video with full screen. The same is true for the layers, which are very small.

2. In your video you have been using the Heal Selection script. I found it very nice as you showed it, how the selection plays a big role. The different settings of the script like Context Samplig Width, Sampling from and Filling Order you understandably didn’t go into detail, because you wanted to get an overview first. But it would be interesting to know what they mean and maybe to see some examples how changing the values can lead to better results.

Accordingly, my recommendation - if time permits and you feel like it - is to try to get a little deeper into the topic, maybe even experiment a little in advance. This will give you a more in-depth insight into the possibilities and will even give you new insights, which the tutorial will raise even higher from many other tutorials, which most of the time only open up the topic and show only the simple basics.

2 Likes

Well, you possibly got the oldest version of resynthesizer available : quote: “…Compiled for Gimp 32 bit version for Windows on 17 April 2011…” - a samj version.
It does work, but the question should be, Why is there not a bang-up-to-date Windows version at GitHub - bootchk/resynthesizer: Suite of gimp plugins for texture synthesis?

More important, you dumped the contents of the zip, including the “README_WINDOWS” into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins Not good advice for beginners. The place the files, binary and python is the users Gimp profile.

Then similar to other comments, The default black interface might be very popular but is difficult to view in a video. Combined with tiny icons and menus not an easy watch.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for your amazing feedback. I’ll be implementing most (as far as possible) in future tutorials. I’ll start by putting the menu on English, changing the resolution to 1920x1080 rather than 3840x2160 and I’ll change the theme.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Another tutorial of GIMP has been uploaded. In this tutorial I go over the 10 basic steps in GIMP.
Please let me know what you’re thoughts are, because I’d love to hear it so that I can create better and more valuable content for you guys. I’ve switched the menu to English and downsized the resolution to 1920x1080p. That’s why I haven’t used the zoom in. Let me know how you like it compared to the previous tutorial.

Could you guys let me know if I should use the zoom in function regardless of downscaling the resolution? Cause if you guys would love for me to do that so it’s easier to follow along, I’ll implement that (again) in the next tutorial.

Greets,

2 Likes

Hello @Rico

Thanks a lot for your new video regarding Gimp.

As regards your last questions, in order to improve your recording, I don’t have any clear suggestion because I think this last video was extremely well done.
I have especially appreciated that you are working with some other open source softwares (Audacity, Obs recorder).

1 Like

Thank you Silvio, that’s fantastic to hear!
I love using Open Source Software, and making tutorials for it is my way of saying thank you to the community!

Hi @Rico,

well done! This resolution is now much better to follow for me! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Fantastic Boris! Thank you! The video of this Thursday has the zoom in function again. Experimented with it a bit. Looking forward to hear from you again then!

Hi @Rico

Just a wild idea of my own and thus feel free to ignore it :slight_smile:

What about you producing a video in the future about the inpainting method [1] available with G’MIC?
I am referring in particular to the multi-scale filter which should be the fastest of all them.
In essence, this new video might be a follow-up of your previous GIMP tutorial where you explained how to clone some part of the images.
This video might be useful to explain the various settings of this filter (multi-scale).
I always work with the default settings of this filter and the result is usually quite good. However, I have never really understood what is the purpose of the various settings available with this filter :slight_smile:

BTW, these G’MIC filters might be available with Darktable as well [2] sometime in the future.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLjhVyJO0s
[2] [WIP] First basic inpaint module with G'MIC for trial by leclercj · Pull Request #2777 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

Great suggestion! I’ll have to dive in deep for this Silvio! That will probably be after my upcoming holiday!

Hi @Rico

Take your time: there is NO hurry whatsoever!
And, of course, have a good time on your upcoming holiday! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys,

This week it’s time for a viewers request! I got asked to make a tutorial on adding stuff in your image. Here it is!
Let me know what you guys think, in this tutorial I’ve kept the resolution on 1920x1080p, left the menu on English AND added in the Zoom in/enlarge function again. Let me know how you like it.

Greetings,

Rico

1 Like

Hey guys,

Remember that video in color correction in darktable that I’ve made? Figured I’d make one in GIMP as well.
I’d love to hear your feedback so I can improve my tutorials.

Greets,

Rico

1 Like

It works. It would be nice if this kind of videos had a more precise description of the content. What is taught, what are the steps written in the description part.

Some texts like ctrl+z when you cancel are visible too short time.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

Sup guys,

There’s a new tutorial out!

1 Like

Have you guys seen this video? It’s about the power of curves!

3 Likes

Creating a quick and easy thumbnail?
I got you covered!

1 Like