Gimp vs Krita (which is worth learning if you choose just one of them)

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to know if there is anything you can do with Gimp but cannot do it with Krita.

my general notes

1. it depends on what you want to do
  2. if you understand the principles of what you do with each modifier then you can easily apply it on the other too.

also if you are into digital painting you could also add mypaint and blender (grease pencil) to the list of tools to learn.

Hi @Berfi and welcome to Pixls!

It does depend on what you want to do. Both have a big overlap and basically you can do a lot with one that can also be done with the other. Both are raster graphics editors. However…

GIMP is more geared towards photo/image editing and Krita more towards painting/illustrations.

Even though I mostly use it for image/photo editing and manipulation I do prefer using Krita. One of the major advantages (at least for now) is Krita’s non-destructive way of working and its masking.

Something that Krita still lacks and what GIMP can do nicely: Removing more complicated objects (Resynthesizer does not exist for Krita). But then again creating and working with (transparency) masks can be done rather nicely in Krita.

About learning MyPaint: The actual MyPaint brushes are integrated into Krita. I’m not saying that you should not use MyPaint, it might be simpler to use and more to your liking.

If you are someone that heavenly dependents on videos and articles to learn from instead of wanting to find it out by yourself, then you are probably better of with GIMP at the moment. There’s already a ton of stuff out there to learn from. Krita is catching up, but it is a relatively new product and most of the videos/articles out there are geared towards its primary goal: Painting.

I switched from GIMP to Krita about 18 months ago and really like it. And even for removing things I seldom fall back to GIMP now that I’ve gotten the hang of creating masks.

EDIT : Words.

1 Like

Probably none… they have both serious issues. The worst issue for me is:

krita - painfully slooow, even on high-end-ish hardware
( how much depends on image resolution and platform)
gimp - still destructive, color profiles handling seems wrong to me too

Interesting that you keep saying you have this issue (previous one).

I still stand by the reply I gave to that one and I have to say that Krita made another nice step forward, in general but also in respect to responsiveness, with version 5 that was released in December.

GIMP still loads the initial project faster, but both handle about the same way when editing/composing. And that is using Krita’s non-destructive behaviour, which does come at a cost.

My editing machine is an i5 haswell and neither seem slow to me…

I second the answer of @Jade_NL , and mostly use Krita. It plays most like Photoshop in terms of non destructive layers, and masking capabilities.

I was hoping for this too. And before i was ready to let krita off the hook because it was run on quite low end hw, even tho gimp was perfectly usable there.
But krita5 on more recent machine (3700x+rtx2070) was quite a horror story…
E.g. with the default settings (default auto renderer) to open tiff file (5304x7952, prophoto rgb) on windows took over 30s, same image with different bitmap editor was opened almost instantly.
Disable/enable this only background layer made krita render the image tiles for few seconds, squares going through the screen. Same operation was instant on other editor.
Same story when using simple filter layer. Surprisingly krita seems even slower when opening it’s own file format. Switching the renderer makes it more fluent, but nowhere near to be on par with other sw.
But i’m glad it works for you fine.

@danny

Your experience really is interesting. I initially thought that you might not have an openc/gl capable graphics card but I see you have an rtx2070, which is even better then mine and your CPU is also better. This is my set-up:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2060 8Gb SUPER EVO
  • Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3200 (4x8)

I’m sure you have already checked and updated where needed, but just in case and for people stumbling across this topic: Krita → Performance Settings