'Glitch' Art Filters - again

A lot has been achieved since the last time there was activity in the old ‘glitch art’ thread so here’s another one. In G’MIC I’ve implemented several filters which create messes out of images, based on several ideas from around the forum and a few of my own. The ‘cascading self-glitching’ filter is more or less done though I wanted to allow for custom user-defined commands with each iteration of ‘glitching’; UltraWarp 2 is more restrained that UltraWarp++++; the JPEG artefacts thing offers even more distortion than a standard JPEG encoder but lacks some of the options which encoders like the one in GIMP have (lower-quality chroma subsampling etc), which would work very well with the JIFF self-bomb filter. Both my Shredder and Shifter (just made a pull request for this) filters yield very messy results too and I want to move on to ideas besides this (although I’m still a terrible programmer): JPEG and PNG ‘glitch’ simulation as well as data encoding algorithms and simple bit flips. If it’s possible, various particular databending simulation would be nice to have and play with.

Here’s what my JIFF self-bomber can do. It’s the most jarring of all the filters that I’ve made:

3 Likes

I should say that this isn’t intended to be a show and tell thread just for me to flaunt what I’ve done. I would like others to come along and demonstrate or come up with some ideas of where to go next.

Your example is quite difficult to improve on, when already so extremely broken! But at least now when I get an unexpected result, I will no longer immediately dismiss it if it fits this purpose :slight_smile:

My feedback for your glitch filters would be for them to show more restraint. Right now, I feel that many of them are random macro texture generators. Like @garagecoder said, that is fine if your goal is to mangle the image as much as possible. :hot_face::cold_face::dizzy_face::smiling_imp::clown_face::crazy_face::ghost::see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

@Joan_Rake1

Have you looked at one of the cli load file command in gmic? It might allow import of files, but I’m not too sure if it too useful for your needs. That’s something I found when I wanted to work on an advanced Overblur/Overline/Sharpen/Blur filter after I learned to manipulate channels.

The other thread is too cluttered. I found something with PDN glitch spiral. It is Ulam Spiral transformation, and there exists codes for it. So, it can definitely exist for G’MIC. There is even an attempt with reverse Ulam Spiral. So, everything the PDN spiral glitch author wanted in PDN can exist in G’MIC.

Example of Ulam Spiral

Could be a base for new filters.

1 Like

The variants look fun too.

I looked to see if G’MIC supports isprime() function, but apparently not. That would make the ulam spiral difficult to do, but not impossible.

I think I found one bug.
When I click OK, it doesn’t apply that filter in the preview, but applies the next recompute iteration.

You’ll have to fix it yourself, she ain’there.

Decided to delete the earlier post as it’s no longer relevant. I have managed to create a spiral matrix transform filter. I posted the filter code and clis to g’mic community.

I just found to older photos with real hardware glitches from a broken sensor. perhaps you can use them as reference or even write a filter to fix them. (I don’t think that is possible.)

2 Likes

This one is very nice: :smiley:

This glitch looks oddly familiar. :thinking:

Pixel Sorting. That what these looks like. The third one however is a bit more complicated than that.

While working on the filter I was talking about in my g’mic thread, I came up with this filter as it’s going to be incorporated into that filter. What glitch does this resemble the most?

NOTE: Random Shade Stripe Layer was added to Mona Lisa, then Destination In Blending mode was used. Then flattened to use the filter I made.

What this filter does is blend pixels by pixels within either x or y axis and either direction. So, you get this pixel stretch effect, but it’s not actually anything like pixel streak. There is different rules that determines how they get blended. However, what does it look like when combined with random shade stripe.

I just did what I wanted. A new glitch art filter may be coming though it would be nice if other scripters here can extend it.

rep_auda_test:
repeat $! l[$>]
 if d==1
  ow={w}
  oh={h}
  os={s}
  unroll x
  s x,$os a c
  s x,-1 unroll x a x
  #Insert your command here#
   f. j(min(j(-10,0,0,0,0,2),i,j(10,0,0,0,0,2))*.05)
  #End#
  s x,-$os
  unroll c
  a x
  #End#
  unroll x
   f. avg(max(j(int(x/$ow)*.5,0,0,0,0,2),i),i)
   f. j((x/w)^2*30,0,0,0,1,1)*.05
  #End#
  $ow,$oh,1,$os,"begin(
  const sc=w#0/s;
  );
  poschan=c*wh;
  posxy=x+w*y;
  pos=poschan+posxy;
  i(#0,pos,0,0,0);
  "
  k.
 fi
endl done

Another pic with s x,5 rv[n1,n2] a x

1 Like

Why didn’t I think of unrolling it before? Maybe I could shove an analog style low pass filter in there if I’ve got time (a popular term for that is ‘zero-delay feedback’ but it’s a misnomer). Regardless, you’ve made a template for a whole class of scripts which can simulate sound-to-image databending. I wonder what a PSOLA time-stretcher would do…

I’ve been really busy with other things and I’m still haunted by that 3D cubim-ish script that I wanted to make (I still can’t figure out how to do the antialiasing in 3D)!

1 Like

Well, not the whole template. I just had inserted another Insert your command here and that contains all pixels while channels are appended together. So, now you do have the whole template. I think we could collaborate on it together as it seem to be a long term project.

I decided to experiment with permute. Problem is rolling it back. It can be shortened to permute $val Unroll x “your command here” rollback. I’ll ping @David_Tschumperle for ideas.

@Joan_Rake1 Now, I think I managed to create a better script thanks to @garagecoder.

rep_auda:
('$1')
l. s x remove_duplicates a x if w#-1!=4 error exit fi endl
4,1,1,1,"begin(
numid_xyzc=[120,121,122,99];
);
numid_xyzc[find(#-1,numid_xyzc[x],0,1)];"
img2text. , unpermute_string=${} rm[-2,-1]
permute $1
whds={[w,h,d,s]}
unroll x
#Insert Code Here#
f x%2?j(10,0,0,0):j(-10,0,0,0)
#End#
r $whds,-1
permute $unpermute_string

So, I think this part is solved. The hard part is making it work with variety of different functions and to make it useful for cli and gui at once. I think that’s a big project.

This was achieved with a modified version of the above using this line:

f j(i*(5*x/(w-1)-int(5*x/(w-1))))

Another pic:

1 Like

I’m now trying to make a generalised JPEG-style encoder with a user-specified tile size. I want to use David’s trick of generating a image of individual IDCT tiles. I’ve tried doing it using at "idct", but with larger tile sizes it gets very slow. I want to generate the tiles directly from cosines but I’m not sure how. This one does both at the same time, and I want the first to be what the second is now.

rm
tw=8
th=8
{$tw^2},{$th^2},1,1
#slow
+f "!((x%("$tw"+1))||(y%("$th"+1)))?255" at. "idct",$tw,$th
#should eventually be the faster way
f[0] "begin(tw="$tw";th="$th");
tx=(x-(x%tw))/tw;
ty=(y-(y%th))/th;
cx=cos((x*tx/tw+(1*tx))*pi);
cy=cos((y*ty/th+(1*ty))*pi);
cx*cy
"
rv
nm[-2,-1] real,mine
n 0,255

I’ve got something which looks similar but it’s a bit off. I don’t know if there’s a square root involved…

rm
tw=8
th=8
{$tw^2},{$th^2},1,1
+f "!((x%("$tw"+1))||(y%("$th"+1)))?255" at. "idct",$tw,$th

f[0] "begin(tw="$tw";th="$th");
tx=(x-(x%tw))/tw;
ty=(y-(y%th))/th;
cx=cos((2*x+1)*tx*pi*0.5/tw)/sqrt(tw);
cy=cos((2*y+1)*ty*pi*0.5/th)/sqrt(th);
tx!=0?(cx*=sqrt(2));
ty!=0?(cy*=sqrt(2));