G'MIC 2.9.4 on Linux Mint needs an upgrade

Hello,

I have a fully working installation of GIMP 2.10.30 + G’MIC 2.9.4 and I would like to upgrade G’MIC to the 3.1.6 version ( or maybe 3.2.0 ).

I have installed G’MIC using the command sudo apt-get update gimp-gmic and it went fine.

Now I have the archive of the latest version, I see inside it’s a zip archive ( gmic_gimp_qt ) and how do I install it correctly over the existing version ?

There are files spread in various directories so doing it manually would be prone to human error.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
RL

Probably something like:

$ chmod a+x ./gmic_gimp_qt
$ cp gmic_gimp_qt /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt 
1 Like

Mint and a Gimp 2.10.30 so that is Mint21 Vanessa. From the repo as you say you get gimp-gmic 2.9.4 and comes with more dependencies than necessary. Since it is installed, just leave it.

For gmic_gimp_qt 3.1.6 you need the Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy zip. Unzip it and put the whole gmic_gimp_qt folder (contains the plugin gmic_gimp_qt - already executable and a readme file) in your Gimp User profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

The user plugin will supercede the older plugin when Gimp opens.
You might want to clean out the gmic profile ~/.config/gmic/ which will contain out-of-date files.

1 Like

Thank you very much both for your tips, I’ll try them out :slightly_smiling_face:

And thanks again because it worked right away.