GMIC cli suddenly very slow

My gmic scripts are running either very slowly, or not at all (just hanging). The scripts were running fine yesterday, but it’s a different story today. I suspect this morning’s system update may have broken something that gmic relies on, but I do not know what may have broken or how to fix it.

I’m running gmic 3.1.3 under Arch Linux.

My gmic jobs are quite simple e.g. Sorting pixels:

gmic infile.jpg fx_pixelsort 1,0,2,1,0,100,0,0,0 output outfile.jpg`
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ Input file 'input/junk.png' at position 0 (1 image 3072x4080x1x3).

This job just hangs appears to hang for several minutes before starting execution, but yesterday would run immediately and in a few seconds.

There is no shortage of system resources. PC has 16Gb RAM with only 3.2Gb used, so it’s not a shortage of memory. There’s plenty of disk space. Even after a reboot with no other Applications running, the script just crawls instead of running immediately and quickly. Something is not right.

I’m sorry that this is such a vague question … but currently the gmic cli is not usable for me and I don’t know what I can do to improve the situation. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Testing here with G’MIC 3.1.4_pre (basically same as 3.1.3) :

$ time gmic sp lena fx_pixelsort 1,0,2,1,0,100,0,0,0 output toto.png
[gmic]-1./ Input sample image 'lena' (1 image 512x512x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ Output image [0] as png file 'toto.png' (1 image 512x512x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ End G'MIC interpreter.

real	0m0,551s
user	0m0,983s
sys	0m0,030s

(Ubuntu 20.04, with latest update).

Maybe you could try adding the -debug option to see when and where it hangs ?

My Version 3.1.2 results in Elapsed time: 3.645 s.
I have an old damaged machine. :slight_smile:

I’m on an ubuntu derived OS with a reasonable laptop and mine also hangs for ages with this size of image. I’m curious how long it used to take, for the same resolution input?

That’s correct indeed, mine is also very slow for this resolution.
I don’t know what happened, since I didn’t change the pixelsort command recently.
I’ll check that tonight if I have some time.
@IeBo8Aj , what was the resolution of your input image?

That may be a regression in latest version 3.1.3.

I’ve tested the filter with G’MIC 3.1.2, and it runs really fast compared to 3.1.3.
So clearly, there is a regression somewhere. I need to find what happened between the two versions and see if I can do something to improve this
(will require a new release, probably).

2 Likes

David, it looks like the resolution is:

Indeed, that is why I showed the timing on the previous version.

Some news: the regression in 3.1.3 is confirmed. It is actually comes from my attempt to optimize certain arithmetic operations, more precisely this (from the Changelog):

• [core-313] Optimize syntax +command for some arithmetic commands (e.g. sqr, sqrt, cos, …).

Unfortunately, this indeed optimizes some operations, but it also slows down other a lot (it’s the case for +crop applied on a large image for instance, which is something done by command pixelsort.

Hopefully, I’ve been able to write a fix tonight.
I’ll release new version 3.1.4 tomorrow with this fix included.

Thanks @IeBo8Aj for your report, it helps building a better G’MIC ! :+1:

For more details, see fix here:

I’m wondering if that means you had to undo the optimisation, or if you got the best of both somehow?
Either way, I suppose we’ll find out with the next build…

No, I found a way to keep the optimization for the arithmetic functions, so at the end 3.1.4 will be indeed faster than 3.1.2 & 3.1.3

2 Likes

Nice! Yet another bonus then :slight_smile:

@David_Tschumperle Nice!
@IeBo8Aj Thanks for reporting.

1 Like

Version 3.1.4 of G’MIC has been released, with the fix included.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Tschumperle for identifying the optimisation problem and releasing a fix so quickly. Thanks too to @afre and @garagecoder for your troubleshooting suggestions.

FWIW, the execution time for my pixelsorting job with GMIC 3.1.3 is 198 seconds, compared with previous times <2 sec. Note that the source image is png format not jpg, in case this makes any difference.

[gmic]-0./ Input file 'input.png' at position 0 (1 image 3072x4080x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ Output image [0] as png file 'outfile.png' (1 image 3072x4080x1x3).
gmic input.png fx_pixelsort 1,0,2,1,0,100,0,0,0 output outfile.png  198.80s user 89.66s system 99% cpu 4:49.03 total

I will run this job again after I have installed GMIC 3.1.4 … just waiting for it to hit the arch repositories.

Thanks again, everyone!

1 Like

Arch packagers are usually very reactive. This should not take too long :slight_smile:

1 Like

The arch repository has now been updated to include GMIC 3.1.4 and GMIC performance is back to normal. I was over-optimistic in my <2 sec execution estimate in the last post … around 5 sec would have been more accurate.

gmic infile.png fx_pixelsort 1,0,2,1,0,100,0,0,0 output outfile.png
6.56s user 0.16s system 105% cpu 6.344 total

This is so much better than yesterday’s 198 seconds!

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I actually think that the command pixelsort could be optimized a bit.
Not much time to look at this, but I keep this on my TODO.

1 Like

I reply to myself, but yes, I confirm something faster is possible.
I’ve a prototype of sorting that runs in parallel (e.g. each row sorted in parallel), and I get a x2 factor here. Will try to make this cleaner so I can replace the current pixelsort function by the parallelized version.

@IeBo8Aj , now that you have G’MIC 3.1.4, could you please try to update your commands ?

$ gmic up

I’ve pushed a modification in the pixelsort filter that enables parallelization and that should be faster for large images.

1 Like

Thanks, @David_Tschumperle. I’ve updated G’MIC 3.1.4 as per your instructions and run my script on a test image. It appears to be slightly slower for the same sized image (7.45 sec user versus 6.56 sec user), but I am not using exactly the same file that I used in previous tests, so it is not a properly controlled experiment. (I was using a test file which I have since deleted, thinking I would not be needing it anymore.) Time details below.

[gmic]-0./ Input file 'infile.png' at position 0 (1 image 3072x4080x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ Output image [0] as png file 'outfile.png' (1 image 3072x4080x1x3).
gmic infile.png fx_pixelsort 1,0,2,1,0,100,0,0,0 output outfile.png  7.45s user 0.27s system 141% cpu 5.444 total