G'MIC exercises

Thanks for that, I’ve now successfully made both commands:

#@cli rgb2ycbcr8 : convert from rgb to ycbcr8
rgb2ycbcr8 :
split_opacity l[0] to_rgb 
f "R=i0;G=i1;B=i2;
  [0.2988390*R+0.5868110*G+0.1143500*B,-0.168736*R-0.3312640*G+0.5000000*B+127.5,0.5000000*R-0.4186880*G-0.0813120*B+127.5]"
endl
#@cli ycbcr82rgb : convert from ycbcr8 to rgb
ycbcr82rgb :
split_opacity l[0] to_rgb
 f "Y=i0;Cb=i1-127.5;Cr=i2-127.5;
  [Y+1.402*Cr,Y-0.344136*Cb-0.714136*Cr,Y+1.772000*Cb]"
endl

Why not using the regular commands rgb2ycbcr and ycbcr2rgb ? The RGB<->YCbCr transformation keeps the [0,255] value range of the image values, by nature.

I was thinking of it being similar to what HSV8 is to HSV. I’m still not sure what the differences are. rgb2ycbcr isn’t quite cubic, too, it’s closer to a rotated cuboid thing. Seems like a matrix transform more than anything else.

The HSV8, Lab8, and other similar color space names are used when the usual transformation does not produce values in range [0,255].
But for YCbCr, fortunately, it does originally, so no needs for YCbCr8

It would be nice if the YCbCr conversions had the option to follow various recommendations; e.g., Rec. 601 (which it is currently), Rec. 709 and Rec. 2020 / Rec. 2100.

Here’s the latest poisson disk noise in this commit - I’ve tried to keep it readable!
Main differences from the algorithm it’s based on:

1. It uses a sorted “kernel” of relative positions for the proximity search (meaning grid cells closer to a potential sample are searched first).
  2. The grid uses 0 to indicate an empty cell (not -1), reason being we get a “free” boundary check from G’MIC.

I’m hoping you can take this and give it your usual sparkle :slight_smile:
The kernel could even have some cells removed based on distance (less cells to search for every sample - big speed gain probably), but the maths is starting to make my brain turn inside out so I’m leaving it as is.

Edit: thought it interesting to note some speedup attempts which didn’t help much:

1. Direct sampling from the annulus instead of random rejection
  2. Using a fixed size samples buffer instead of dar_insert - this proves
    your dar functions are really great! Practically no performance penalty but less ram used.
1 Like

Wonderful @garagecoder !
I took your command, modified only it a little bit :slight_smile: , and added it as a new command noise_poissondisk in the stdlib.

What I changed basically is I removed the value parameter to stay coherent with the behavior of the noise command (in salt&pepper mode), which was the most similar effect in G’MIC so far.
So the value used is always the maximum value of the input image, or {iM+1} is the image is constant (just like noise does). I don’t think this is a big deal, as I guess this type of noise will be mostly used on zero-valued images.

You have done a really cool contribution here (again!), thanks a lot !
:beers:

EDIT : The good properties of the noise distribution is clearly visible when we inject the generated noise points in the tsp command, to solve the Travelling salesman problem. Look at that nice random but regular texture !
tsp_poissondisk

1 Like

Can it be done so that we have multiple of those complex segments? This has a ton of potential for grimy artworks and even graffiti.

Yes, as running tsp multiple times give different solutions, you can mix these solutions together, here, 10 solutions run and mixed:

multi_tsp

Then, with random colors mapped on each individual region :

multi_tsp_colored

Cool alternative to the existing ‘polygonise’ plugins but I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

This sort of stuff screams ‘graffiti’ to me because of how seemingly-chaotic the lines are.

Really cool! It’s probably not obvious to many what purpose minimally spaced noise has, but it’s not something you would use directly - it’s something you can build things with. It becomes trivially easy to make certain patterns:

noise_circles

And also has uses for anti-aliasing and such like. Even the cones of the human eye have a pattern based on the same principal!

Your example looks like what the “Stencil” G’MIC filter produces:

It does look like that, yes! However, I was thinking of more complex interlocking ‘blobs’ a bit like what the image from earlier was suggesting:

This would only be one such ‘blob’. I think that it would depend on whether we could have multiple travelling salesmen on a single image without their tracks overlapping. Segmentation then noise, travelling salesman and then fill for each segment.

@David_Tschumperle Looking at @garagecoder dots-in-a-ring image reminds me of the autostereogram, which I think would be a fun filter to write and use. :wink:

@afre, I had a look this morning about the problem of including .gmic files from user.gmic, on Windows.
Here, I don’t have any problem to be honest. What I’ve done is :

1. Put the following in my file %APPDATA/user.gmic:
cli_start : 
  l[] m ${APPDATA}/custom.gmic onfail endl
  1. Create a new file %APPDATA/custom.gmic whose content looks like this:
my_com : 
  sp lena mirror c b 5
  1. Now, from the command line, I can type:
$ gmic.exe my_com

and it indeed displays the modified lena image. I’ve tested both with the MSYS command line (bash), and the original (shitty) DOS-like console (see screenshot below).

If you look at the screenshot carefully, you’ll be able to see the log message emitted by the command cli_start defined in my user.gmic. Add embracing v - and v + to cli_start to hide them.

So now, what can I do to help ?

1 Like

Thanks. Looks different from what I tried. I will look into it when I am less tired.

Update: it works!

BTW, what does l[] mean? I recall asking about e versus e[] before… is this related to that?

I have been struggling to figure out a good way to thin, centre and refine edges (of the gradient norm result). E.g., when I do

gmic sample tiger gradient_norm

I believe there are two things going on (correct me if I am wrong):

1. Brighter where there are edges.
2. Wider where edges are sharper.

is possible Diffusion curve with gmic?

1 Like

Filter Solidify ?

1 Like

thanks!

Gradient Norm

My attempt to make the lines more balanced in brightness and thickness.

Remarks

I would like the lines to be more even and defined, sort of what you get from colouring book outlines; actually that might be a good filter to work on (or maybe something like that already exists…).

At the moment, there are inherent weaknesses to the gradient norm method. The two I mentioned before: uneven brightness and thickness. And a few others: thin objects such as the whiskers “double”, and tips and corners either disappear (darkened) or become less defined (rounded).

Also, if you toggle between the original sample tiger and my results, you would see that the outline is not smack dab in the middle of the edge. It ends up either on the bright side or the dark.