G'mic filter is not working in GIMP for linux

Can you help me ? I installed G’MIc plug in for Linux, I can see option installed in filter menu of Gimp, but when I choose the option nothing open and dont have application runing.

Patricio

How did you install gimp and gmic?

If you see the gmic entry listed in the gimp menu, then it works. You just have to open a new image to make it available.

David thanks you for your support but it doesn’t work. I am attaching a short movie about it.

Dont work filter.webm (10.2 MB)

Thanks for the video. Never had this case before, very strange.

It would help if you gave the version of linux you are using, and as before where you got it. A version from a distro repository is going to be different from a zipped executable from gmic.eu Anything that might give a clue. Running linux in a chromebook or using multiple monitors.

Not clear from the video but there should be some sort of indication in a ‘menu’ bar or equivalent even if the gmic window is hiding underneath or on another desktop or monitor. Continuing the theme, this is kubuntu but any DE will show something.

The next step would be run Gimp from a terminal in verbose mode and look at what shows.

@rich2005 I like the image, but I would like it even more, if the woman would have put a straw into the hole of the disc with a Corona beer at the other side of the straw :wink:

Don’t use the whole screen for GIMP or minimize it after calling Gmic-Qt. Most probably the gmic-qt window is in background! Gimp main window is still active during open Gmic-Qt window! Use only one screen, not the extended one! There is possibly a problem with X11 with extended screens. At least this is the case with XQuartz on MacOS.

No Sr. I was checking and it is not the case. Can you tell me what can I check ? Can you send me a desinstallation and installation detail instruction to reinstall it again ?

Regards

Uninstalling still requires the details that were requested.

Which version of linux ? Is it debian based ? Anything that uses .deb packages or something else.
Which version of Gimp ? From the video it looks like it might be an older Gimp 2.10 version.
Where did you get gmic_gimp_qt ? Was a one of the zip packages from gmic.eu or did you install via a package manager / “software center”

Why are these details useful ? The linux version will determine what is installed, The Gimp version to certain extent depends on the Linux version and what works.

Uninstalling

1. If you are using a debian type ubuntu / mint… and using a zip from gmic.eu then this is a single (static) file. Unziped a gmic_gimp_qt which goes in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ . Uninstall is simply delete the gmic_gimp_qt file.

2. If you installed gmic from a package manager / “software center” then for example ubuntu, it is a dynamic version, a gmic_gimp_qt in usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ + libgmic + a host of dependencies, all buried in the system. Use the package manager to uninstall gmic_gimp_qt. All the dependencies usually remain.

The gmic_gimp_qt installed obviously works to a certain extent. It shows up in the menu, but it does not work and is not hiding somewhere. Then it is probably missing a dependency or might just be the wrong version for your linux. You will have to run Gimp from a terminal and look at the output for error messages.

Sorry for being so technical.

Hmm, besides uninstalling/installing it might be really of interest to find out what happens. Best way as mentioned from @rich2005 for that is to start gimp from terminal to get the messages during startup (plugin activation) and after selecting gmic-qt, just all what the window system is swallowing up!

Of course the required details (@rich2005 ) are necessary too!

There is a bit more. Some observations from the video:
Why are you opening “/home/ceo/.config/GIMP/2.10/backups/backup-000.xcf” Have you checked using gmic with a more regular file ?
Round about 60 seconds in, using some GEGL filter and the file is IMG_2020.TIF-2 (MicaVero.xcf) Is this importing a RAW file ? This is not a straight forward gmic issue.