G'mic for Gimp 2.10

(David Tschumperlé) #21

Compilation of the plug-in went OK.
It is also recognized without any issues in GIMP 2.10. Now the title bar says “G’MIC 2.2.3_pre for GIMP 2.10”, which is nice. The main difference is that version uses the new plug-in API of GIMP 2.10 for managing input/outputs, so it works with high-bit depths images without quantizing them, contrary to the G’MIC plug-in for GIMP 2.8.

So right now, using this PPA, I don’t see any problems :slight_smile:

Yes running Kubunto 18.04, both your QT and GTK versions of the latest G’mic pre-release work fine. Neither of those work in Gimp 2.10 flatpak however.

I would appreciate the compatibility of G’mic with the Gimp 2.10 flatpac, as that is the one that will be most used.

(David Tschumperlé) #23

I’ve no idea how flatpak works, so I won’t be able to help for this. You should contact the GIMP flatpak maintainer, maybe he knows how to do it.

I think more the limitations imposed by the gnome library that gets installed for the Gimp flatpak.

/var/lib/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/some-long-string/files/lib

Kubuntu 16.04, I can get the GTK version, (one I compiled for Gimp 2.9.9) running by slipping more-than-a-few library files into org.gnome.Platform

I am sure that is not the way to do it, but it works here.

Tried the QT version but a step too far, that runs into conflicts.

(Mica) #25

Bundling plugin with the flatpak is on my list of things to do, but it might not be so easy, @Jehan said in another thread.

IMHO bundling plugins with anything is not the way to go. You need to be able to put a plugin, compiled or python, into the Gimp profile plugins folder and it should work.

At the moment that is generally not true for either the flatpak or the appimage.

I just think it is crazy to have to download the whole application just for, (say) a 7 MB gmic update.

(Mica) #27

Flatpak is a way to layer packages on to of each other, so while gimp official will never package gmic or other plugins, we can package them, serve them as a pixls flatpak repo or submit them to flathub. We can list the gimp flathub as a dependency, so it’ll be installed. It’ll also provide updates, and will be simpler the enduaer for plugins that need to be compiled, like resynthisizer

hmm…resynthesizer already runs out-of-the-box in my flatpak installation

the fft plugin needs some libfftw3 library files
liquid rescale is a bit easier only requires liblqr-1.so.0 and BIMP needs libpre.so.3

plenty others that work just by popping into ./config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

Do you really want to include all in a bespoke gimp-addon flatpak. What needs updating is the org.gnome runtime. Can not believe that it does not include libpre.so.3

I feel the same about that monster that is the debian gimp_plugin_registry package. Plugin bundles, a thousand curses on them.

(Mica) #29

We have the option to package them individually.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #30

I just would like to mention that I am preparing a Docker container that will allow to compile binary plug-ins that are compatible with my GIMP AppImage, and that can thus be simply copied into the .config folder. That seems to be the most simple solution at the moment…

Thank you for the update to your appImage! Now I can use my favorite Scheme scripts…