G'MIC for OpenFX and Adobe plugins

I tried to install OFX on Windows 10 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins) Davinci Resolve 17 does not recognize it, fusion 9 does, but it can’t load it. I don’t know where to put “libcgmicstatic.dll”. Does anyone know how to do it work?. Thanks.

Is there a way that you can give us the already compiled ofx bundle files for the recent versions of gmic?

Hey @Tobias_Fleischer , How are you now… I am new to this forum, but I am following it and trying to see if there is something new about the AE G’imc Plugin? I am really interested but There is no Multi-frame rendering, it’s really sad. I have tried to change the flag myself in visual studio but I am not a coder and can not build… Returns me error, and After effect crash. Thank you for support.

I am sorry for the long silence here from my side, I had to go through a tough time in the last 2 years. :frowning:
Good news is I am slowly getting back on track and finally trying to get new AE/OFX versions of G’MIC out there. I already have versions of G’MIC 3.2.0 working on Windows in AE using multi-frame rendering, will post a release hopefully soon.

3 Likes

Thanks Tobias,
Really happy to get some news from you!
Let me know if you need specific help or if you have questions. But of course, taking care of yourself is a priority :hugs:

1 Like

And hot off the press, here is the very first release, most of the G’MIC filters as plugins for Adobe After Effects (possibly Adobe Premiere Pro as well, but haven’t tested that) and as OFX plugins (for Nuke, Natron, Vegas, Resolve, Fusion, etc.):
http://reduxfx.com/20230128_gmic_320_adobe_ofx_test.zip

Please be aware that this an experimental pre-release and there will certainly be bugs and strange behaviour. I need to do some further cleanups and debugging and bugfixing, but I promise that this time all the sources will properly end up on a Github repository for all to use. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh yes!!! Thank you so much!!! As a Natron (recently updated too) user, I will try this asap.

1 Like

Hey, thank you for your word, hope you are getting through this trial and you could see light at the end of thetunnel. Was expecting worse… But you are here. I had a time through tough things too, can understand. Anyway, you have no debt and obligation toward us, thank you for your time and generosity…

2 Likes

G’MIC command interpreter running as a frei0r plugin inside Kdenlive (using frame_cube effect in the screenshot):

Unfortunately, Kdenlive itself is still rather unstable on my machine and the frei0r plugin standard is also a bit limited. Currently only the generic plugin works, not any converted filter, as each filter requires a separate parameter/UI XML definition file.
Also Kdenlive seems to kill a processing thread if it takes more than a few seconds, so many more complex G’MIC commands will result in a black screen.
But yeah, making progress… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New builds have just arrived:
http://reduxfx.com/20230202_gmic_320_adobe_ofx_test.zip

Changes:

• preview functionality finally working again
  • multithreading was not working correctly, especially in AE - fixed
  • clicking on “About” in AE resulted in a script error - fixed
  • the 0xc2a0 UTF-8 sequence (included in many notes for G’MIC filters as a non-breaking space) is now properly recognized
  • parsing and formatting of filter notes in general improved
  • logfile location moved from desktop to G’MIC resource folder
  • verbose logging options now finally work, proper routing of G’MIC command output to logfile,
    not only error messages
  • OFX plugin now includes the G’MIC icon
  • frei0r plugin now included (only tested in Kdenlive, and still quite limited)
  • AE release no longer includes all 1000+ plugins prebuilt, but instead a simple batch script that
    will generate them in a few seconds from the included JSON file (so download size down from 250 MB to 10 MB)

WARNING: This should all still be considered beta/experimental! Crashes and bugs will likely surface and I still might need to change/adapt formats and structure of the binaries. But I have already created a new Github repository and am uploading the current sources - private for now, but will make it public once I check some final third-party library dependencies.

4 Likes

Hi,
The OFX plugin works nicely in Natron 2.5.0 Win10 (gmic dll in natron.exe folder). Thank you very much!
Really usable, seems good enough to be advertised on gmic website!

In Nuke 12/13 Win10 program crash at startup after (long) scanning of the gimp plugins (gmic dll in nuke.exe folder). Just don’t use Nuke :wink:

Here are a few more notes / questions:

• The many categories tend to clutter Natron interface maybe they could be embedded in a global GMIC category (if OFX spec allows this)
  • Seems single threaded (I’m ok with this if it helps stability)
  • could you give us a very basic example / tutorial how to use the prebuilt A,B,C… parameters and multiple image inputs of the GMIC/script plugin. (For example, I’m trying to use the displacement command to generate optical flow)
  • Loading of so many plugins is decently fast on Natron. But maybe it would be possible to make the scripts list external. (The idea would be to allow updating, debugging, cleaning the list without relying on your hard work for new versions).

Again thank you very much!

1 Like

In Resolve 17 Win10 program crash at startup after (long) scanning of the “video plugins” (gmic dll in resolve.exe folder).

Delete dll and resolve works again

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

I haven’t tested the latest builds with Nuke, but will do so shortly.
I seem to remember there was a problem with too many plugins in one OFX bundle, so that could still be the culprit.

Resolve has a horrible OFX host implementation in some parts, but this is also another host that I will test things on shortly.
It worked in the past so I am confident I will get it to work again.

Some more answers to your notes:

• too many categories: I agree with that, unfortunately the OFX standard only allows one layer of categories and stuffing all G’MIC filters in one general G’MIC category will break the display in most hosts.
  • single-threaded: The processing within the G’MIC interpreter is multithreaded, the pre- and post-processing of the plugin is also multithreaded. Unfortunately, calling multiple instances of a single G’MIC instance from the same process seems to cause problems, likely related to static variables, but the next release will include an option to allow instance multithreading as well, so this can be tested on a case-by-case basis.
  • example for prebuilt A,B,C…: I though that was already in the default command, but I don’t think on the OFX side. Anyway, you can for example use “-blur {$A*100}” as a command and it will use the parameter A slider (0…1) multiplied by 100 as the blur strength. An example for custom layer inputs will follow in the next release.
  • external script list: this is also already possible, you can define in a text file which filters should be loaded by the OFX plugin. This file is called gmic_ofx.txt in the G’MIC resource folder, feel free to remove lines of filters you don’t want to load. In future this will be extended/made easier, maybe already in the next release.
2 Likes

Thanks for these helpful answers!

1 Like

Short update/news for next release:

• Nuke is working again (but number of filters need to be reduced)
  • single/multi-threaded option as UI parameter
  • improved dynamic loading of custom filter lists for OFX

Once I am able to test in Resolve, I will release the new builds…

3 Likes

New release:
http://reduxfx.com/20230227_gmic_321_adobe_ofx_test.zip

• update to G’MIC 3.2.1 library
  • support for Nuke and Davinci Resolve (but you need to reduce your filter count, too many will crash these hosts)
  • improved G’MIC generic plugin (e.g. default setting shows how to use custom parameter)
  • better filter selection mechanism for OFX
  • new advanced multithreaded flag for each effect
  • OFX now has support for sub-categories in plugin list
  • plugin batcher now includes category and filter name in output filename for AE/frei0r plugins

Cubism filter running in Nuke:

Black Crayon filter running in DaVinci Resolve:

Puzzle filter running in Natron, also showing the G’MIC sub-categories:

3 Likes

Thanks for your work on this! I was having trouble testing it in DaVinci Resolve, is it not yet compatible with DR18?

It should work, although with a limitation: DaVinci Resolve can’t deal with so many filters at once, so you have to manually reduce what G’MIC filters are available for the OFX plugin. To do this, go to the G’MIC resources folder, which on Windows is usually located here: c:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\gmic\gmic
There should be a file there called gmic_ofx.txt (created by the G’MIC OFX plugin on first run) that contains a list of all the G’MIC filters exposed via the plugin to the OFX host. This list should be reduced to a few selected entries for testing. You can either remove single lines, or start with an empty file and include only those filters you want.
You can also make it include complete categories by putting something like this on a line: “colors/” or “artistic/”.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Toby

1 Like

Thanks for your work on this! Is there any way to get this plugin for Linux?

If you have the source code and compilation instructions I can try building it myself.

1 Like

Unfortunately, no Linux build yet, I don’t have the time/resources at hand and the project is still undergoing changes :slight_smile:
But I made my repository public now so feel free to have a go yourself, just don’t expect it to be easy going: GitHub - tobybear/gmic_plugin: This repository holds the sources for plugins that interface with the G'MIC library (http://gmic.eu)
The OFX plugin itself should compile fine cross-platform, but you’ll need the official OFX SDK/headers. You will also need to link to libcgmic.a or libcgmicstatic.a, so either get a prebuilt one (if they currently exist) or build that yourself from the G’MIC sources.

2 Likes