G'MIC for OpenFX and Adobe plugins

What version of AE are you using? Are you sure your libcgmicstatic.dll is in the path and matches the GMIC DLLs? How many GMIC DLLs did you create? Did you try putting only a few of the created DLLs in the AE folder?

What do you mean exactly by “is in the path” ? do you mean the path variable of the advanced system ? No it didn’t generated any.dll. I missed something… if you could add a screenshot of what libcgmicstatic.dll in the path means, it would help more than just me.

There is some documentation on this in the readme.txt included with the download.
Basically, make sure you have downloaded the latest release from this thread.
Then, copy the file libcgmicstatic.dll from the lib folder to somewhere in your system path. You can see which folders are in your path by entering “path” on the command line. Of course you can also create a new folder, put the DLL there and add that folder to the path.

And finally, you have to actually create the AE plugins.
For this, you have to put the files from the “adobe” subfolder somewere in "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore" and then run the file “make_plugins.bat” in that folder. It will create all (1000+!) G’MIC AE plugins.
You should remove the ones you don’t need/like, or maybe start testing only with a few ones instead of the whole set of more than thousand G’MIC plugins, since that might slow down AE on load.

Yes, did created all of them but mediacore is scratching again and again…
make_plugins.bat must be conv.bat in last release…
Did check the path and folder… failed to load AE

Then maybe “\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects[AE version]\Plugin Loading.log” will give any insight as to why it failed.

it recognize the .aex

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2023\Support Files\(Media Core PlugIns)\Common\PlayerMediaCore.prm
The registry tells us not to cache so the plugin will be loaded from disk.
Loading from disk...
This plugin was recognized by loader 1b5bc335-92e5-4479-bd38-d18bedec69b2.
This plugin was recognized by loader c9936cb9-1979-48c8-bf22-dbe0ec323274.

Loading from root path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore
Scanning for the following file types: *.prmp, *.prm, *.dll, *.aex, *.8bf

Begin PluginNameList::AddFolder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore 4286.67
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae.aex" 4287.7
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae_afre_Contrast FFT.aex" 4287.73
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae_afre_Denoise [afre].aex" 4287.76
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae_afre_Details.aex" 4287.78
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae_afre_Gamify.aex" 4287.8
PluginNameList::AddFilePath - added "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae_afre_Gleam.aex" 4287.82

etc
and it finishes by /

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\adobe\gmic_ae.aex
Invalid registry entry found so the plugin will be loaded from disk.
Loading from disk...

stop

Try deleting the gmic_ae.aex and see if that makes any difference.
Also try only having one or two plugins in the folder for testing

Hello, so I’m creating an ofx plugin for Davinci and I have a problem linking a third party library (libtorch). I tried including the DLL’s to the same folder as the .ofx and apply a manifest to it but don’t seem to work. Do you have an idea on why ? Thank you :smiley:

Thank you for your answers, already done all of that.
Did you test yourself with AE; because it doesn’t want this .aexat all; but also it does loading after effect only if I delete the gmic_ae.aex in the folder too. My version is AE 2023.

Yes, I regularly test and use my GMIC plugins with AE, with a lot of different versions (from CS6 up to AE2023).
No idea what’s going wrong in your case though :frowning:
The gmic_ae.aex file is not necessary, you can delete that if you don’t need the generic scripting interface to GMIC.

Linking does not happen at runtime and is not related to a DLL in that regard. Or what is your exact scenario?

What is weird is that all .aex files are the same weight, 173ko
and they are all the same I think… There is a problem in the batch creation.

No, this is intentional, they are just tiny wrappers around the actual GMIC library call

AfterFX_2023-05-17_150229_DESKTOP-APS5PJH.txt (134.6 KB)
this is the last .crash from it, if it could help…
I’m done.
It as been change to .txt
Thanks

Can you verify that the DLL at this location C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\libcgmicstatic.dll is from Feb 27 2023 or newer?

From 27 2023, yes.

The other problem that I didnt told u about is that the batch file is working only in my download folder and not into the mediacore one,

there (the mediacore one) it’s displaying the process and creating the aex list but they are not appearing into the mediacore folder wich is weird.

if I’m doing it as an administrator it told me that update321.json cant’t be found… I’m newbee on windows11 I’m quite disappointed.
I think maybe windows is the problem…

Hey Tobias, I found where I was wrong, it works
TY for your patience.

Oh great, can you tell us what the problem was as maybe others run into the same issue?

Yes, as I changed my computer for a new one, I didn’t remember to fill again a new folder for the original g’mic plugin in itself… Just going for the Ae plugin and just thinking about my needs as a goal wich is the silly part, so After Effects could not read those plugins… It’s only by coming back to this discussion and reading from the beginning that I figure out what was wrong.

Sorry…