G'MIC fun with afre

gmic
fun

I refined the purpose of the thread a bit more.

I have yet to try it. Which settings do you typically use?

The default setting usually work well with large images. It can take some time to process however. Here’s an image of my bike, I used 2 iterations setting on this one.

More fun: this time a “blueprint” effect.

blueprint

[Play Raw] You can run but you can't hide

I discovered that the effect in post #3 has an interesting application. It helped highlight spots that needed healing when I did this PlayRaw entry.

Here is another fun effect. Its temp name is “ludic”: not quite lucid. :slight_smile: (I used something similar for my second alt on [PlayRaw] Landsat 8 image of Lake Elton

ludic_flower

New PhotoFlow batch processing options for setting image export parameters
(dumb) #11

Reminds me of GIMP’s alien map filter. Do you have the script code?

Sure; it is not in #@gui format yet. It is different from the alien map filter. Since it piqued your interest, I might consider adding it as a filter. I have to figure out GitHub and GitLab someday… :stuck_out_tongue:

afre_ludic: skip ${1=14.5},${2=0},${3=0}
  if {$1<1||$1>15}
    e[] "\n  NB: Argument '$"1"' is not between 1 and 15.\n" v - q fi
  repeat $! l[$>]
    if !$2 b 1,1,1 fi
    n 0,{2^16-1} & {2^$1-1}
    if $2 b 1,1,1 fi
    n 0,255
    if $3 negate n 0,255 fi
  endl done

(dumb) #13

I see a main parameter, a skip parameter and a negation parameter. I’ll see what I can do.

I have a bunch of techniques in my head but I usually forget about them. This is one of them.

1. skip is for cli and is a list of the default parameters.
2. The key line is n 0,{2^16-1} & {2^$1-1}. This filter is basically an application of bit planing.

(dumb) #15

Bit-planing is something I’ve been wanting to achieve for a while, as it happens. I gave up on it but this’ll help a lot.

Glad I could help. I like simple concepts and implementations. One thing to note is that the default parameter is set to 14.5, which does not represent a bit plane per se. You would need positive integers; i.e., 1,2,3,... up to the max plane.

(dumb) #17

I’ve quickly made a bit plane decomposer for 8-bit RGB images:

to_rgb
repeat 8
[0]
l[-1] & {2^$>} endl
done
rm[0]
#n 0,255

Making a reverse command shouldn’t be difficult (without that extra commented n it’s just a case of blend add but it might require some kind of idiotproofing to cram values into a plane before recomposition.

The reverse command is +. :slight_smile:

(dumb) #19

Thanks for the help, here’s what I have now:

##decompose
to_rgb
repeat 8
[0]
&[-1] {2^$>}
done
rm[0]
#n 0,255

##recompose
#repeat 8
#n[{$>}] 0,{2^$>}
#done
+

(G'MIC staff) #20
binary_planes :
  sp lena

# Decompose (as a 8-slices volume).
  100%,100%,8,100%,"(i(#-1,x,y,0,c)>>z)&1"

# Recompose.
  100%,100%,1,100%,"a=0;for(k=0,k<8,++k,a+=i(#-1,x,y,k)*2^k)"

(dumb) #21

Edit: it turned out that my earlier implementation was faster on my machine, not sure why. I’m using 2.4.1. Here’s what I’ve built around that:

#@gui 8-Bit planes : fx_bitplane8, fx_bitplane8_preview(1)
#@gui : Mode = choice("Decompose","Recompose")
#@gui : Split mode = choice("Z layers","Separate images")
#@gui : Scale mode = choice("True","1","255")
fx_bitplane8 :
if $1
##recompose
if {!$2} s z fi
repeat {int($!/8)} l[$>-{$>+7}]
repeat 8
iter=$>
l[$>]
if {$3==0}
/ {2^$iter} cut 0,1 round 0,1 * {2^$iter}
elif {$3==1}
cut 0,1 round 0,1 * {2^$iter}
elif {$3==2}
/ 255 cut 0,1 round 0,1 * {2^$iter}
fi
endl done
+
endl done
else
##decompose
repeat 8
[0]
&[-1] {2^$>} 
if {$3==1}
/[-1] {2^$>}
elif {$3==2}
/[-1] {2^$>/255}
fi
if {!$2} a[^0] z fi
done
rm[0]
fi
#n 0,255
fx_bitplane8_preview :
fx_bitplane8 $*

Whatever works for you. As I said before, I prefer simple and elegant, short and sweet. :stuck_out_tongue:

(dumb) #23

I admit that it’s a bit of a mess but it seems to work exactly as I feel it should:

• An option to keep true values, set values to either 0 or 1 or set them to either 0 or 255

• Repeats on every 8 slices, doesn’t do anything else

• Rounds values for idiotproofing (but being G’MIC code, it’s easily-hackable).

• Options to keep 8 separate images or merge them along the Z axis

Given that in hindsight some of my commands have very questionable design choices (like that extra ‘recompute’ option which the commands require as arguments despite it only having a use to easily refresh any randomising things through the GUI without resetting parameters), I suppose I’ll need to redesign some of the commands I’ve made.

I was having some G’MIC fun yesterday and came up with something interesting. See post #307 of G’MIC exercises for more info. As usual, it is just something that I stumbled upon and so might not be compelling to you. :blush:

texture_afre