G'MIC is unable to install in the latest version of GIMP 2.10.32

OK. So, I had some new issues with GIMP which caused constant crashes no matter what I did, SO I uninstalled everything and then installed GIMP 2.10.32. Now GIMP is stable, but I cannot figure out how to get G’MIC to work again and I use it a LOT. I have spent hours trying to troubleshoot and follow YouTube tutorials on how to fix it but to no avail. I can install the program, but when I open GIMP it acts as if the plugin is broken and only shows it grayed out with gears in front of the G’MIC entry in the drop down. a couple of other plugins that ship with GIMP are also grayed out. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @jack_bean, and welcome!

Operating system?
From where did you obtain the software?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Welcome @jack_bean!
Forgive the following Level One Tech Support question: Did you open/started a new image? The G’MIC-qt plugin remains ghosted and unresponsive until there is at least one image layer loaded. I know, a very basic thing, but I’ve Been There and Done That: thinking G’MIC is broken because I didn’t load an image first.

Also, as @Claes suggests: some details would help. A small narrative of what you tried, what you expected and what you got would help. Screen shots too. Some environmental information: your computer, your operating system, how much RAM you have. We can sherlock for you, but need some clues. Thanks! and Welcome!

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Usually when I open GIMP, I just reload the file is was working on so I didn’t even think about that. I guess I figured it out on accident because it just started working again yesterday. Thanks.

G’MIC crashes in my GIMP, or rather a warning comes up. So I have never been able to use it. I’m on Linux 20.

Welcome to the board, @Metta_Bhavana.

As I said to @jack_bean, we can sherlock for you, but need clues. (1) “Linux 20” belongs to what distribution? (2) What does the warning say? (3) What GIMP version? 2.10.32? (4) What G’MIC version (3.3.5 is the latest stable)?

Taking a wild guess that you are on GIMP version 2.10.32 (since hardly any details have been provided, I assume such because you posted to this thread), then:

1. Upgrade to the current latest GIMP 2.10.36 05-November-2023. Be sure to completely uninstall the earlier version, including the G’MIC plug-in.
  2. Test your GIMP upgrade first to ensure it is working. You should not see any reference to G’MIC-Qt in the Filters menu. If you do, you have not cleaned out a likely old, G’MIC plug-in.
  3. If GIMP is working properly, then install the G’MIC-QT plug-in for GIMP 2.10, .zip Archives are available for Debian and Ubuntu. See What is G’MIC for GIMP and how do you use it? at zdnet.com.
  4. Start up GIMP and first load, or start a new image. G’MIC-Qt does not activate until there is a loaded image. See above.
  5. Go to the Filters menu. You should now see G’MIC-Qt listed in the Filters menu. Choose it, then choose some G’MIC-Qt filter.

Let us know if this procedure has worked out for you. Take care and have fun.

That’s not gonna work, long ago I was not paying attention and I did download G’MIC for Debian but I’m on Ubuntu, sure enough it was not working, it took awhile before I realized that the package I did download was for Debian and not for Ubuntu

@Metta_Bhavana , I will assume that you’re are on Linux Mint 20, but here is the problem as @grosgood told you, you need to give a lot more info, especially the package of GIMP you are using, is it a FlatPak, a PPA, an AppImage? From Linux Mint I won’t be surprised it’s a FlatPak, thus you cannot download G’MIC from the official website, but install it from your FlatPak manager/terminal
If your GIMP is not a FlatPak, then download for Ubuntu 20.04

But it’s all supposition and like @grosgood said we need more clues about your system

1 Like