GMIC not visible in Gimp 2.10.10 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

In Terminal it says:

No such file or directory

Try this please

ls -l ā€œ~/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€
or better
ls -l ā€œ/Users/youraccount/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€

Apparently this new user can only create a limited amount replies on his first day. Iā€™m sorry for my late responseā€¦
Denied

Soā€¦ in Terminal for the first line:
ls: Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€: No such file or directory
ls: ā€œ~/Library/Application: No such file or directory

For the second line:
ls: Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€: No such file or directory
ls: ā€œ/Users/youraccount/Library/Application: No such file or directory

Ok HHJT,

Terminal use can be tricky. Still how did you manage to copy the plugin into the hidden folder Library?

Lets try without Terminal:

Open Finder Menu Gotoā€¦-> Entry Goto Folderā€¦ and type ā€œ~/Libraryā€! (tilde ~ is ā€œOption Nā€, backslash \ is ā€œOption Shift 7ā€ not necessary here, at least on my keyboard)

Open ā€œApplication Support ā†’ GIMP ā†’ 2.10 ā†’ plug-insā€ by clicking and tell me what is there stored! That is the place to copy the unpacked content of the gmic plugin tgz file! (listed in an earlier mail)

1 Like

Again, there is no plug-in folder in the my Gimp 2.10 folder. Do I need to create it?

There are some things incomprehensible!

If you add in the gimp preferences the folder ā€œ~/Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€, it is either only possible if existing or it is marked red. Hence there is the folder and you are looking at some other place. Maybe you should understand that ā€œ~ā€ is a shortcut of ā€œ/Users/youraccountnameā€, this means not literally youraccountname but YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME on your machine!

I assume the first line in the gimp preferences is not marked green! Please try to print exactly ā€œ/Users/youraccountname/Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ā€ After that restart gimp and look at the location! In any case Gimp will create this folder hierarchy, except your Gimp is running as a different user! I think you donā€™t know how to do that!?

No I donā€™t know how to do that.

What I do know is that Iā€™ve just created a plug-in folder (I did the same thing for the brushes, gradients, palettes and scripts folders; as they were also absent in Gimp 2.10) and now GMIC is in the filters list. I opened an image and clicked the GMIC-Qt, but only the GMIC-symbol (Hat and magic wand) appears in the Mac dock appears.

Iā€™m guessing there is something wrong with the plug-in.

Ok I donā€™t know what is with your system, still seeing gmic means nice progress. What still lacks is most probably X11! You have to install XQuartz from https://www.xquartz.org!

For some interactive functions X11 is necessary for gmic and hence linked in!

XQuartz does not support dual monitors. Believe me Iā€™ve tried. And besides, GMIC running under Gimp 2.8 worked fine on my system. It would be nice if someone could solve the problem.

Tscha, for the gmic preview dual monitor is not really necessary, I have also two. Still for the plugin is X11 a must or you build it by yourself. By the way, GIMP does not use X11, only the plugin in certain circumstances. Where is the problem to have XQuartz installed (and started during gmic usage)?

By the way, as far as I know the Partha plugin build does not have X11 linked, therefor no interactive functions are possible, like the newest x_warp ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m done adjusting. Iā€™m switching back to 2.8. Thanx for your help, though! I really appreciate it.

I hope itā€™s OK that I also post this here: I opened an issue about some problems I have installing the aferrero2707 Gimp 2.10 plugins on Github here.

In short: starting from a new install of v.2.10.10 of the official Mac OS Gimp binary and following the installation as described here I found that it works fine on my work (2011) iMac running Mac OS Sierra (10.12ā€¦). The beauty is that Gā€™MIC seems not just a bit faster, maybe even ten times as fast compared to the Partha McGimp v.2.10.6 installation I had (McGimp 2.10.8 never worked well for me). I love that, because I did a lot of scanning and retouching of old photographs lately. A real step forward, thanks to aferrero2707 :slight_smile:

However, the exact same installation procedure does not work on my mid-2012 macbook pro running Mojave (10.14.3). Starting with the vanilla Gimp 2.10.10 and a clean Library / Application Support / GIMP / 2.10 directory, installing only the Gā€™MIC plugin from that Github repository and running Gimp from the command line, I get this error (among some other messages & warnings, not sure if they are related):

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libgimp-2.0.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/luthien/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt
  Reason: image not found

Iā€™d be very happy if I could get Gimp + Gā€™mic also running on the macbook :slight_smile: - does anyone have a suggestion what I could try?

thanks,
LĆŗthien

I have a quite similar configuration besides Mojave 10.14.4 and, possibly this might be crucious, my GIMP-2.10 is directly in the Application folder! I have seen in your error message that Gimp is in a subfolder of the Applications.

~ $ find /Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/ -name libgimp-2.0.0.dylib

/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app//Contents/Resources/lib/libgimp-2.0.0.dylib

Perhaps try to move Gimp !

Hi Karsten - well, it turns out youā€™re right.
Is maybe some path hard-coded? I have always had Gimp (and other graphics apps) in a subfolder and never had any issues with that before.

Wow, GMIC is even faster than on the iMac now, faster processor and maybe CUDA :smiley:

Thanks a ton!

1 Like

Iā€™m also only a user of the plugin from Andrea. It was only a suspicion! There have been some security changes in 10.12-14!
I use mostly the cli, more handy for large amounts of data!

1 Like