GMIC not visible in Gimp 2.10.10 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

Hello,

I used to have GIMP 2.8 with GMIC in one package installed. Worked fine. Now I upgraded to McGimp 2.10, also with GMIC in one package, but it was very slow and all my fonts were missing. So I changed to 2.10.10 from the GIMP website and it works fine, but I can’t seem to get GMIC installed.

I have the GMIC-Gimp-2.10-osx (gmic_gimp_qt)

If somebody can take me through the whole process step-by-step, please!

Hi, I am using the original GIMP 2.10.10 plus the cmic plugin from @DrDraw. I’m using the following script to “install”

wget -q -O - https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-plugins-collection/releases/download/continuous/GMIC-Gimp-2.10-OSX.tgz | tar -xC ~/Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ -

May be you are doing something different? Control your preferences, possibly with Partha Gimp something might not fit. In the preferences the plugin folder ~/Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/ should be in first line!

1 Like

Thanx for the reply.

First of all, when I installed the GIMP 2.10.10 there was no plug-in folder in the location you mention. So I created it.

I’ve download the tgz-file and unpacked it. I clicked gmic_gimp_qt and a window pops up, telling me the process has completed, but when I restart GIMP, there is no GMIC.

HHJT

April 12

Thanx for the reply.

First of all, when I installed the GIMP 2.10.10 there was no plug-in folder in the location you mention. So I created it.

Gimp from gimp.org does not have external plugins!

I’ve download the tgz-file and unpacked it. I clicked gmic_gimp_qt and a window pops up, telling me the process has completed, but when I restart GIMP, there is no GMIC.

The directories mentioned in Library are created after first start of Gimp. They are user specific. The content for the taz file should be copied to

My folders are showing

~ $ ls -l Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/

.DS_Store dockrc gtkrc pluginrc themerc

CrashLog/ dynamics/ icons/ print-page-setup themes/

action-history environ/ internal-data/ print-settings tmp/

backups/ filters/ interpreters/ profilerc tool-options/

brushes/ fonts/ levels/ scripts/ tool-presets/

cache/ fractalexplorer/ menurc sessionrc toolrc

colorrc gfig/ modules/ sessionrcMC1MFZ unitrc

contextrc gflare/ palettes/ sessionrc~

controllerrc gimprc parasiterc tags.xml

curves/ gimpressionist/ patterns/ templaterc

devicerc gradients/ plug-ins/ templates/

~ $ ls -l Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

insgesamt 15024

drwxr-xr-x 6 karo staff 192 11. Apr 21:17 GMIC

-rw-r–r-- 1 karo staff 5230 30. Mär 2018 ShellOut.pyc

-rwxr-xr-x 1 karo staff 7678284 11. Apr 21:17 gmic_gimp_qt

-rwxr-xr-x 1 karo staff 7694816 21. Dez 18:56 gmic_gimp_qt-orig

in my user library folder.

gmic_gimp_qt can only loaded from Gimp. Open an image go to filters menu, there should be an entry G’MIC-Qt… If not the preferences are not correct!

Then please tell me how to make the preferences correct. Because there is no GMIC-Qt in my filters menu.

Presuming that the content of the plug-ins folder is as described in my previous mail. Here is a screen snapshot of my preferences

I only have the first two. How do I get the third?

the third line is from my test environment, not necessary for you

So my preferences are correct, than? How come GMIC is not working?

Good question! I don’t know.
I would now

1. delete the folder ~/Library/Applications Support/GIMP/2.10
  2. start Gimp-2.10 and quit it
  3. recopy the gmic plugin from tgz file to plug-ins/
  4. sart Gimp.

Just before , you could show me your actual content of the plug-ins folder!

Preferences Gimp 2.10 says the plug-in folder is located in:
Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

But there is no plug-in folder in Gimp 2.10 when I look it up in Finder.

So do I create a plug-in folder AND do I just copy the gmic_gimp_qt file or everything in the extracted tgz file (the entire GMIC folder)?

Hmm, after deletion of ~/Library/Applications Support/GIMP/2.10 and start of Gimp-2.10 all necessary folder should be created, hence no handmade folder creation!

Download the latest plugin built! The content of this tgz file including the GMIC folder has to be copied into …/plug-ins/

After that Gimp has to be restarted!

The link you gave isn’t the last version? What is then?

Hmm, it is the latest prerelease with all necessary libraries (in folder GMIC). You should try it

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-plugins-collection/releases/download/continuous/GMIC-Gimp-2.10-OSX.tgz

Possibly the latest stable version works only with gimp 2.10.8, I don’t know.

I’ve already tried this version… also a no-go.

If you don’t know, who does?

Good question, no idea!

My next step would be to start gimp from terminal to get the log during start:
In Terminal type
/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/MacOS/gimp
and look where the plugin crashes

I don’t know how to start Gimp from terminal…

cmd space/Spotlight Search: Terminal
Start Terminal
Type the line
/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/MacOS/gimp carriage-return

This is the result (some of it is in Dutch):

2019-04-12 22:17:31.639 gimp-bin[2368:715912] *** WARNING: Method userSpaceScaleFactor in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. Use convertRectToBacking: instead.

Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id or /etc/machine-id: Failed to open file “/var/lib/dbus/machine-id”: No such file or directory

GIMP-Fout: Unable to run plug-in “spyro_plus.py”

(/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/spyro_plus.py)

Kon dochterproces “/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/spyro_plus.py” (Exec format error) niet uitvoeren

(gimp-bin:2368): GLib-GObject- WARNING **: 22:17:37.852: invalid cast from ‘GtkMenuBar’ to ‘GtkWindow’

(gimp-bin:2368): Gtk- CRITICAL **: 22:17:37.852: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed

There is no gmic plugin in your plugin path!

Show me
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/