G'mic plugin for GIMP on Mac not working

I would appreciate any help to get the G’mic plugin for GIMP working.

I receive the following message when I start GIMP;
“libX11.6.dylib” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

My System
Mac Catalina v10.15.4
GIMP 2.10.14
G’mic is in /Users/Me/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

@KaRo or @Carmelo_DrRaw could help maybe ?

I have actually Catalina not installed.

Try to Start XQuartz by selecting it with Finder and right click open, not by double click. If than a gatekeeper message verifies the opening it might function with Gimp too. If the same message appears concerning libX11, try to reinstall XQuartz. I’ll see to try on a separate system with Catalina.

Ok, I have tried Gimp and g’mic under Catalina with a similar error.

I have Gimp 2.10.18 and the plugin 2.9.0 from @Carmelo_DrRaw. It is a build from Sep 2019 and the libX11 in that package is also not accepted by my Catalina.

You have to wait for an update of the gmic plugin from @Carmelo_DrRaw. I am not able to build such a package.

I am using MacPorts for gmic and Gimp with occasional local gmic updates using local git. From the beginning that is a bit cumbersome, still later on its relatively easy to follow the quick updates of @David_Tschumperle!

Still you can try the Gimp package from @partha including a rel. recent gmic plugin.

@KaRo @David_Tschumperle @Weeman the update of the GMIC plugin for macOS is on my todo list, I will try to look into it next week.

However, I am not sure to be able to provide a package compatible with Catalina, as I do not have an Apple Developer ID and I do not want to give them $100/year…

1 Like

Thank you @David_Tschumperle, @KaRo & @Carmelo_DrRaw for your prompt responses. I will investigate the GIMP package from @partha, otherwise I will wait for the next Mac package.

Solved
@David_Tschumperle, @Carmelo_DrRaw, @KaRo & @partha

I moved the gmic plugin files from the user folder to the system folder and it is now working.

1 Like

I am trying to get this plugin working on Catalina. Would you be able to just clarify exactly how and where to relocate the plugin files. Thank you.

Hi, the plugin prepared from @Carmelo_DrRaw is now fairly old (Sept. 19). My recommendation is either throw into the effort to install gmic and gmic-gimp with MacPorts or download McGimp from Partha. The first is cumbersome at the beginning, still it is later easy to build latest git builds. The latter is quite recent, Gimp 2.10.22 with gmic-qt from Oct. 9, don’t forget to move the /Application plugin folder line to first place!

After using MacPort to renew the gmic-qt, this actually worked for me. Quite a surprise, too. Having spent the whole day trying to sort out why the tgz files wouldn’t work.

What version of G’MIC-Qt is it ?

Hi @Mahvin , the tgz files from @Carmelo_DrRaw don’t need the MacPorts environment!

After installing gmic-qt with MacPorts (and possibly but not necessarily using Gimp from MacPorts) I had since inclusion of gmic into MacPorts never more any problems! The crucial point is IMHO the installation of MacPorts! Still the differences of gmic 2.9.7 and 2.9.8 are so large, possibly a new version might help.

By the way, with the latest git from gmic (2.9.8), gmic-qt and zart the following commands build successful on my Mac (OS 11.4) :

make -B CXX=clang++ OPENCV_CFLAGS="\$(shell pkg-config opencv4 --cflags)" OPENCV_LIBS="\$(shell pkg-config opencv4 --libs)" EXTRA_CFLAGS="-march=native -O3 -flto -Wno-c11-extensions -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Dcimg_use_opencv $(OPENCV_CFLAGS) -Dcimg_use_heif" EXTRA_LIBS="$(OPENCV_LIBS) -lheif" cli

make -B gimp gmic_qt zart “SUBLIBS=-lX11”

How long did that take you? After Homebrew and Fink tossed out multiple errors, I was beside myself with how whacko MacOS is and probably the biggest reason people give up on the OS. Crikey!

Yeah, it was a bit cumbersome. Still my personal OS history from (Siemens) 300->(pdp/digital Vax) VMS->(digital) Ultix->(PC) Windows->linux->(finally) MacOS has let grown my patience! OS changes were forced either by termination (Siemens,Vax,digital) or by unbearable (windows) or unexplicable errors (linux)! Yes, I also tried Fink and homebrew, still there were always problems bringing me finally to MacPorts.
The last hickup on Mac with gmic was the decision of the opencv maintainers to stop support of pkg-config files! I think it is a good decision from @David_Tschumperle to switch off the camera support by default to simplify the build, still camera support is really helpful sometimes.

Which is why when I read your comment on MacPorts, knowing I had it installed, I just went with it. I wish I had found your post sooner! I already have my camera apps for the DSLR, so I am good there. For me, GIMP is naked without G’MIC, and so many plugin authors are utilizing it to enhance their code.

I am a gmic command user. The plugin (Gimp) is for me a by-product or test for building it.
Just the relatively free data structure, 2d,3d,4d allows very efficient access and processing.