G'MIC-Qt + JWildfire art showcase/advice

I’m a bit shy, I’ve been lurking in these forums for about a year since I discovered the wonderful world of all the Scott Draves fractal flame implementations, mainly JWildfire, and many outstanding image filters, mostly G’MIC but also some very nice utilities at the paint.NET forums. I’ve used G’MIC-Qt with paint.NET a huge amount the past year to create what I’d like to call my own style of digital art, very abstract, and most (but not all) images I make involve starting with a fractal flame render then applying half a dozen filters. I know how to write JWildfire code decently well but not G’MIC. And for some of them the base images I use one of the paint.NET or G’MIC renders.

About 5-8 years ago I spent a lot of time making nonphotorealistic imagery using genetic programming, some of the results were great but the end result images got a bit too homogenous for me. I mostly stay away from G’MIC scripting although I’ve been meaning to learn its CLI, but I do find the Qt integration plugin to just be really easy to use and especially find its preview regions helpful given that the more intense filters I like to use take 10-20 minutes to run on the 4K size images on my computer.

I sometimes share my images to a few JWildfire groups, but I don’t think any G’MIC people see my stuff where it just sits stale on deviantart (Ivelieu User Profile | DeviantArt). So I thought I would post some here, any feedback is appreciated, I certainly use some filters like angoisse anguish and dream smoothing a lot, some many-years-old filters that I could maybe expand on if I knew the G’MIC language better. I also try my best to leave details on my deviantart posts with the technical process for how I make images, although I’m not sure how many people actually read or understand that part.

Anyway, here are four that I like a lot (I was going to upload five but the website won’t let me), with some of the more niche filers like skeletik and dreamy watercolor here too. Only the last two here used fractals as a base image, the first two used G’MIC renders as base images. I also really like the new stringify and spline spirograph filters from G’MIC 3.3.6, and I made a couple just yesterday here that I like (the first image here uses both) - stringify takes ages to run on high resolution images though! I’m also looking at print shops to decorate my home with some of these. There is more information for each image on my deviantart.

10 Likes

Very cool,thanks for sharing!

Hello @Ivelieu , that’s really cool, thanks for sharing with us!

I’ve shared your gallery on the G’MIC X/Mastodon accounts, if you don’t mind. Your displayed images are really interesting and beautiful!

https://twitter.com/gmic_eu/status/1781599152561918274

I don’t mind at all, thank you!! Knowing the person who made so many filters I used likes my images is like a birthday present :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

:birthday: :beers: :stuck_out_tongue: