G'MIC-Qt on Mac OS - Eternal Processing Loop

(Glen Kohler) #1

Dear All—

In GIMP-for-Mac 2.8, 2.9, and 2.10, when I try to apply one of the (just fantastic) G’MIC-Qt filters, the status bar shows the plug-in is processing … for as long as I allow it to run. After half an hour or so I cancel the plug-in.

The picture files are Panasonic .RW2 RAW files, average size 21.5 mb. 1200 x 900 jpegs suffer the same fate.

I have used the Apply and OK commands, but once I start a filter going it never stops. My systems (this happens on the laptop and the tower) are running Mac OS 10.11.6, El Capitan, and right now I am running GIMP 2.9 color corrected, which came with G’MIC installed. The top of the G’MIC window says:

G’MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.9 - Mac OS 64 bits - 2.0.3 pre#170821

I have experienced this ‘effect’ after installing GIMP 2.8 and 2.10 for Mac, so I am fairly puzzled.

Am I missing some obvious step or parameter or command?

(G'MIC staff) #2

Well to be honest, I can’t say what is going wrong. Sorry about that (We don’t even have a Mac to test).

Maybe some good news anyway: We’ll release new ‘major’ version 2.5 of G’MIC soon, probably today. Hopefully there will be updates for Mac in a short amount of time (@KaRo and @Carmelo_DrRaw may tell us).

I’m not saying this will solve the issue, but there may be bugs in your versions that have been corrected since then.

(Karsten R) #3

Hmm, I can only recommend to try a recent built of the plugin. If you have GIMP 10, then you should try the last built of @Carmelo_DrRaw. Unluckily it seems to be from Jan 28, something hampers the automatic builds there. I am using beside my local build the one from MacPorts and don’t see such problems, still I am using more the cli version. For that the @Carmelo_DrRaw version is more recent with weekly automatic builds!

The way how I load that
wget -q -O - https://github.com/aferrero2707/gmic-osx/releases/download/continuous/gmic-cli.tgz | tar -xC -

With the log of GIMP you can try the cli of gmic… With the log (start GIMP from Terminal!) you might also find some explanation for the hanging!

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #4

@KaRo @David_Tschumperle I have some issues with either the Travis macOS environment, or with homebrew… I’m investigating… The CLI builds are OK, but the plug-in does not build ATM.

(Glen Kohler) #5

Dear All— After re-installing GIMP 2.9 and 2.10 in my El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11.6) environments (2.10 on the laptop & 2.9 on the desktop), most G’MIC-Qt filters seem to work—though what I image to be processor-intensive ones take a lot of time. Maybe I was mistaking something about their operation before, or … ?

(Karsten R) #6

GMIC-Qt plugin revival, version 2.5.4 pre can be loaded for Mac!

Very good, thank you @Carmelo_DrRaw

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #7

Yes, it compiles again, but the minimum macOs version is now limited to 10.11 because of the availability of binary Qt packages in homebrew.

I will soon investigate if MacPorts can be a better alternative for providing the dependencies. I also need such kind of better solution for other projects…