G'MIC-Qt on Mac OS - Eternal Processing Loop

Dear All—

In GIMP-for-Mac 2.8, 2.9, and 2.10, when I try to apply one of the (just fantastic) G’MIC-Qt filters, the status bar shows the plug-in is processing … for as long as I allow it to run. After half an hour or so I cancel the plug-in.

The picture files are Panasonic .RW2 RAW files, average size 21.5 mb. 1200 x 900 jpegs suffer the same fate.

I have used the Apply and OK commands, but once I start a filter going it never stops. My systems (this happens on the laptop and the tower) are running Mac OS 10.11.6, El Capitan, and right now I am running GIMP 2.9 color corrected, which came with G’MIC installed. The top of the G’MIC window says:

G’MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.9 - Mac OS 64 bits - 2.0.3 pre#170821

I have experienced this ‘effect’ after installing GIMP 2.8 and 2.10 for Mac, so I am fairly puzzled.

Am I missing some obvious step or parameter or command?

Well to be honest, I can’t say what is going wrong. Sorry about that (We don’t even have a Mac to test).

Maybe some good news anyway: We’ll release new ‘major’ version 2.5 of G’MIC soon, probably today. Hopefully there will be updates for Mac in a short amount of time (@KaRo and @Carmelo_DrRaw may tell us).

I’m not saying this will solve the issue, but there may be bugs in your versions that have been corrected since then.

Hmm, I can only recommend to try a recent built of the plugin. If you have GIMP 10, then you should try the last built of @Carmelo_DrRaw. Unluckily it seems to be from Jan 28, something hampers the automatic builds there. I am using beside my local build the one from MacPorts and don’t see such problems, still I am using more the cli version. For that the @Carmelo_DrRaw version is more recent with weekly automatic builds!

The way how I load that
wget -q -O - https://github.com/aferrero2707/gmic-osx/releases/download/continuous/gmic-cli.tgz | tar -xC -

With the log of GIMP you can try the cli of gmic… With the log (start GIMP from Terminal!) you might also find some explanation for the hanging!

@KaRo @David_Tschumperle I have some issues with either the Travis macOS environment, or with homebrew… I’m investigating… The CLI builds are OK, but the plug-in does not build ATM.

Dear All— After re-installing GIMP 2.9 and 2.10 in my El Capitan (Mac OS 10.11.6) environments (2.10 on the laptop & 2.9 on the desktop), most G’MIC-Qt filters seem to work—though what I image to be processor-intensive ones take a lot of time. Maybe I was mistaking something about their operation before, or … ?

GMIC-Qt plugin revival, version 2.5.4 pre can be loaded for Mac!

Very good, thank you @Carmelo_DrRaw

Yes, it compiles again, but the minimum macOs version is now limited to 10.11 because of the availability of binary Qt packages in homebrew.

I will soon investigate if MacPorts can be a better alternative for providing the dependencies. I also need such kind of better solution for other projects…