Go to module in your favourite software

Hi
Do people have a favourite module, filter etc they go to after basic adjustments such as exposure, white balance. Currently I quite like the haze removal in darktable. In GIMP I always have a look at GMICs slide emulations, in particular the Polaroid ones.

Have to say darktableā€™s equalizer module. So useful - everything from removing noise to adding a little ā€œpopā€ to low-contrast images.

1 Like

in RT it was contrast by details. Nowadays I do love all the LH, CH and HH curves in the Lab module and the Waveletā€™s Residual and Final Touch tools.

In Gimp it is luminosiy masks and contrast masks, which arenā€™t modules per se but none the less go toā€¦

It is still the Lab* curve!

Karl, thanks for the tip ā€¦
Iā€™ve been fairly conservative in adjusting my photographs ā€¦ mostly I just try to get them looking as they did to my eye, which is admittedly subjective. Shadows & Highlights, noise reduction as well as exposure and white balance have been my regular gotos. Equalizer now seems likely to be my first stop, except itā€™s a little slow without opencl.
Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

darktable ā†’Basecurve ā†’ Exposure fusion

Followed by:

• Exposure
  • Crop and Rotate
  • Denoise (Profiled)
1 Like

Raw controls and color management: they often make or break your vision.

darktable,

crop and rotate,
colour zones,
tone curve,

Youā€™re welcome, Martin. Iā€™m usually pretty conservative too, but Iā€™m starting to push my boundaries a little more (eg. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KarlStevens/posts/hWYXTZJb1c5 - it didnā€™t look quite that spectacular in person.)

And (at least for me, as my video card isnā€™t terribly powerful) equalizer is slow even with opencl. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Karl, thatā€™s a very nice piece of art of the photographic variety ā€¦ maybe

because the sensor in use (the human eye) is sometimes not as broad in dynamic range as weā€™d like?

To my observation, your finished product doesnā€™t look un-natural, but my brain tells me it has to have been post-processed. This does not need to detract from aesthetic appreciation of the artform. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

1 Like

rm.

1 Like

@Ofnuts Even more rudimentary than my favs.

darktableā€¦ equaliser / clarity, auto denoise,
Rawtherapeeā€¦ film emulation.
Gimp ā€¦ levels, gmic

Not exactly a ā€œmoduleā€ in Filmulator since itā€™s notā€¦modular, but Drama is my go-to, naturally.