Google NIK - linux mint using wine

(Jimi Albert) #1

Hi all!

I’ve seen several websites, blogs and videos stating that it is possible to use Google Nik Collection in Linux Mint 18 using WINE. I have not been successful. Program keeps crashing.

Has anyone tried this? And if so, can you point me to a good set of install instructions? Thanks in advance!

@jimialbert Is Linux Mint your primary OS? I personally use Win7 with which I use @partha’s builds of GIMP, which happens to have the NIK Collection bundled. I haven’t checked the Linux versions of GIMP but do check out @Dariusz_Duma’s PPA.

(Mica) #3

I’m not sure anyone here is going to be super interested in this, as NIK is not free software.

(Jimi Albert) #4

Thanks! I have a linux machine that I built and would like to use exclusively for photo editing. I’m trying to ween myself off of PS and WIN and move completely to open source. I love the NIK collection and wanted to see if still use it in conjunction with GIMP on linux mint.

(Jimi Albert) #5

Google NIK collection is free. https://plus.google.com/+NikCollection/posts/AFGsG2Di7EK

(Mica) #6

The NIK collection is free (without monetary cost), but the software we support here is libre, which means you have access to the source code, can modify the source code, and can redistribute the original source code and your modifications. Sadly, NIK is not libre.

You can read more about Free Software: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software

(Pat David) #7

I think that @lylejk had some luck in the past using it? (or am I thinking of @Ofnuts?). Maybe one of them could help direct you to some better answers?

(nikola) #8

i have nik collection installed on my debian jessie and works great with the script ‘shellout.py

i just sent you a private message with some links

(Jimi Albert) #9

I am aware, and for that reason I thought this would be one of the best places to ask. :wink: If anyone could (or has gotten it) to work with Gimp it would be here. Thanks!

(Jimi Albert) #10

thank you!

(Jimi Albert) #11

thank you for that link… I will give it a shot and let you know. Cheers!

(nikola) #12

you are welcome! if you stuck with this, you can contact me via pm.

(Lyle Kroll) #13

I got the NIK collection to work via Shellout but I’m using Windows. You’ll have to have Wine and hope it’s compatible with NIK filters. Shellout works in Ubuntu (Linux) so that should not be a problem. :slight_smile:

Depending on which ones of the NIK tools you use the most it might be easier to learn how to do the same in darktable (denoise, film simulation, etc.). There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. No wine required. Just a thought.

(Jimi Albert) #15

Thanks…That would actually be beneficial for what I’m trying to accomplish. The two things I use the most in Google Nik are “Color Efex Pro 4 Detail Extractor” (in an extra layer to paint in detail where I’d like and “Dfine” - if there is a similar way to get the same results in GIMP and/or Darktable (as Im sure there are… Im new to these apps and have been using PS since the late 90’s) That would be great! :sunglasses:

I just read an article about G’MIC 2.0 here on blog.pixls.us and saw a section about a module that pops up details.
Is this close to what you are looking for?

(Elizabeth Hayman) #17

hello! actually, as long as you agree they’re for your use only, they are free - I’m currently using mine on a stand-alond basis (probabably not using the correct word, sorry) - but I’m in Win, so when I opened each one up, I pinned it seperatly to my taskbar, which seems to be working just fine (I should knock on wood when I say this) lol - I actually do have Partha’s gimp (2.8.14) - but I got impatiant, and I’m having too much fun right now…I just save the image, then open it in gimp to lower the image size and sign my name, lol

(David LaCivita) #18

I’d love to get the same info!

(nikola) #19

oh…three months later… sorry for that!
the good thing is that nik collection is not dead, it is now under the dxo.com. i am not sure what’s changed, but i dont need anymore to make paths with ‘mkdir’. with wine 2.0.1 works great. what i need is only to put this ‘shellout.py’ script in /home/myname/.gimp/plugins and make it executable.

here is the guide how to install: Using Google Nik Collection with GIMP under Linux and WINE