graphical issues on Xubuntu 18.04

Fresh install on a new machine.

Installed as usual and rebooted. Started from launcher, same if start from terminal.

Could you please be amore specific? What version of Rapid Photo Downloader is this, and how did you install it?

I’ve tested 0.9.21 on Xubuntu 18.04 with all updates installed, and it works. I did install it in VirtualBox instance however, not on an actual machine.

If you are using the install.py script to install the program, it might be that PyQt 5.14.2 is having some compatibility problems with the machine you have. While that’s just a guess, it’s easy to see if it’s true or not. Try this:

python3 install.py --use-system-PyQt5

And report back if it works.

Sorry, I forgot which machine I was on. I was installing 0.9.21 on Linux Mint 19.3 w/ XFCE (based on Ubuntu 18.04). I installed using python3 install.py. I reinstalled using your updated command and it works fine now. Thank you!

I’m very glad to hear it works now, but can you please help me with something so if there is an underlying problem it can be fixed?

Can you try this:

1. Download the tarball so you don’t need to keep on downloading it over and over:
    wget https://launchpad.net/rapid/pyqt/0.9.21/+download/rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.21.tar.gz
  2. Install Rapid Photo Downloader using the latest version of PyQt and Qt:
    python3 install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.21.tar.gz
  3. Run Rapid Photo Downloader, but completely disable Qt’s screen scaling:
    QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0 rapid-photo-downloader
  4. To return to the known working version, do as before:
    python3 install.py --use-system-PyQt5 rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.21.tar.gz

If step 3 works, then that’s a significant finding. In that case, I will probably need to look into disabling screen scaling in certain environments.

I would be extremely grateful if you can try this.

Thanks.

Step 3 worked just fine with one exception. It did not use the XFCE style I installed in Settings > Appearance. The previous installation command, python3 install.py --use-system-PyQt5 did use the style.
I might not be the most proficient Linux user but I am always happy to help when I can! Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

So now we know there is a bug in the way Qt 5 handles application scaling in your environment.

The different style is expected. By default, the install script installs the most recent version of PyQt5, which comes with its own copy of Qt5. This copy of Qt uses its own style, completely independent of the rest of the system.

Could you please add a log file to this bug report: Bug #1871649 “Window corruption when application scaling enabled...” : Bugs : Rapid Photo Downloader

That log files gives me additional information that is useful to diagnose what is going on.

Happy to!
How do I generate a log file?
And you want a log from step 3 above, correct?

The log files are generated each time you run the program, so you already have them. You can find them using the instructions here.

You can attach whatever log files you have (there might be only one).

@David_LaCivita if you can attach the log files to this bug report that would be very useful Bug #1871649 “Window corruption when application scaling enabled...” : Bugs : Rapid Photo Downloader

Done and done. Hopefully it’s got the info you need.

That’s helpful, thanks. What graphics hardware is the computer using, and what driver?

CPU is the i5-9400F so no graphics.
Nvidia GTX 1650 Super with Nvidia driver 440.64