Greek Saturated Sunset Halo

On a recent sailing trip to Greece, I had to spend one night on shore. This gave me the chance to photograph our boat in the last light of a beautiful sunset:

DSCF5302.RAF (24.7 MB)
DSCF5302.zip (24.3 MB)
DSCF5302.RAF.xmp (11.5 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

There is one particular issue with this image that I have been struggling with: Around the sun, there is a halo of paler colors. I don’t quite understand where this halo comes from, or how to get rid of it. The sensor only seems clipped in the sun disk itself. Also, the sun disk looks somehow pale and cold in a somewhat unrealistic way.

(There is a LUT applied to this picture that boosts saturation and colors, but the issue exists without the LUT as well.)

Filmic v6 improved this issue dramatically already. It was rather rough beforehand. But it’s still not perfect. How would you deal with this?

3 Likes

I have tried to download your RAW a couple of times, but when I try to open it I get the message “Unexpected end of file”. I don’t know if others get the same result.

I don’t understand what’s going on there. The RAF file does not seem to download right. At least the file extension is always missing on download, and possibly the content is corrupted as well? I tried reuploading to no avail. At any rate, I added a zip-file containing the RAF, and that seems to work.

How about this one ?

DSCF5302.RAF.xmp (13.8 KB)

Main tweaks are:
Highlight reconstruction

• clip highlights

filmic

• V6
  • contrast in highlights: safe

Exposure +2EV

tone equalizer

• reduce hightlights
  • enhance shadows

contrast and saturation to taste by color balance rgb

dt 4.0.0

Try number one in GIMP. I don’t think I solved your original problem but I have tried to make the yachts and the buildings on the opposite hillside more visible. I may well have another attempt.

DSCF5302.raf.xmp (11.6 KB)

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0

DSCF5302_01.RAF.xmp (16.7 KB)

2 Likes

DSCF5302.RAF.xmp (13.8 KB)

DSCF5302.pfi (72.7 KB)

1 Like

Try going to the highlight reconstruction module and lower the clipping threshold. I have done that here and set it at 0.384.

My version…

DSCF5302.RAF.xmp (14.2 KB)

1 Like

The issue is with the mapping in to sRGB.

Your camera has a dynamic range larger than sRGB and looks like it has captured colours that are too bright and too saturated for the sRGB output format you’re creating. It either has to darken or desaturate.

I’d like submit a late version of this fine capture…

DSCF5302.RAF.xmp (23.8 KB)

1 Like