Green tint in bad light

Hi all,
I have a photo of my son during swimming lesson. There were bad light conditions, different light sources and even Auto WB is quite off. I’m wondering what you can get out of it.
OOC jpeg:

My attempt:

Raw file with xmp:
P7010037.orf (14.4 MB)
P7010037.orf.xmp (17.3 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

P7010037.orf.xmp (12.3 KB)

3 Likes

Impossible to know for me how that room’s lighting felt at the time, so I went into an even colder tone. Plus some masked tone equalizer for contrast and some smoothing of the shadow on the face.

P7010037.orf.xmp (17.1 KB)

4 Likes

P7010037.orf.xmp (17.2 KB)

2 Likes

No real edit here. I just autoexposed it on the entire image at 50%, left sigmoid on and in default… Otherwise just added local contrast at the end in default… The one little extra was a skin edit using LAB tone curve… I like using the a and b curves and using the skin tone range provide in the color picker… lots of other ways to do it as well… vectorscope etc…

One is perceptual render next is relative…

P7010037.orf.xmp (12.2 KB)

I also feel like Olympus files might be one of the ones that benefit from custom reference WB by shooting a white image on your monitor if its calibrated… I could be wrong but I think people noticed in the past some issue with either red or green being too strong… I’ll edit the post if my memory is right and when I have the time to look back in the forum…

1 Like

II tried setting the color by using the color calibration module and using the set white balance using a selected area. In this case mainly the shirt as it appeared a grey tone. I just focused on the color and didn’t really try to edit the image.
P7010037.orf.xmp (11.2 KB)

1 Like

My attempt. I just used the automatic WB in color calibration, switched on noise reduction, contrast in sigmoid and finished off with a Fuji 400H 2 LUT from the RawTherapee HALDclut collection

P7010037.orf.xmp (9.2 KB)

2 Likes

I think others have already done better, but this is what I came up with. There is a little green in the skintone that I’m unable to deal with in a reasonable way. dt 4.4.2

P7010037.orf.xmp (7.7 KB)

I picked the white balance from the illuminated part of the shirt collar, increased the exposure compensation, added some smoothing to reduce the noise on his face, and added a moderate vignette.

P7010037-10.jpg.out.arp (11.2 KB)

nice shot, thanks for sharing. only a few things to do in RT 5.9dev:

-load the camera-dcp.profile
-apply the automatic tone curve
-raise exposure
-some noise reduction
-white balance with the vectorscope, based on the skin tone line.

P7010037.orf.jpg.out.pp3 (15,1 KB)

Martin

2 Likes

darktable 4.4.2

P7010037_02.orf.xmp (14.9 KB)

1 Like

My version…

P7010037.orf.xmp (17.3 KB)

2 Likes

Second edit with filmic this time…my first post was with Sigmoid…I didn’t invoke any edits with the primaries in that edit I just made simple changes… I added a few more modules this time as i notice there was a lot of noise so I wanted to take that out of the picker data…

Relative and perceptual renders…

P7010037.orf.xmp (12.8 KB)

Actually the whole image is green tinted. You should probably verify your monitor calibration.

P7010037.orf.xmp (16.5 KB)

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to thank you all for great feedback. In the end it wasnot too difficult to handle the colours. My first edit was still quiet green, my eyes just got to used and I saw the difference until the next day.
@priort Yes my camera has the option of custom WB, but I forgot about it. While my camera’s AutoWB is really good, it just failed in this situation without any color reference.

I was actually talking about a trick in DT… If you use CC as part of your WB then it can be for some camera’s that the reference values used by the WB module preceding this are not the best… If you have a calibrated or decently setup monitor you can shoot an image of your screen displaying an all white screen. Load that into darktable … wb on that and save that as the preset used in place of camera reference for use by CC module… This may or may not improve your day to day results… The process is mentioned in the manual and demonstrated on one of Aurelien’s old video’s…

1 Like

Lovely picture, thanks for sharing.

P7010037.orf.xmp (11.0 KB)

2 Likes

Well I tried that trick, but I haven’t found any difference in pictures. Also when using custom WB setting for my camera, CC somehow works but gives error message.

For my camera it made a huge difference. But even if it’s minor, I think it’s probably worth it. It does require a correctly D65 calibrated monitor, though.

And for those that don’t know about this, here’s the video that explains it in detail:

I assume you mean this?

screenshot_dt-module-warning

That’s not an error (despite the wording), but a warning that you’re doing something you might not want to do. This is because color calibration expects D65 input, but if you select anything other than camera reference (the lightbulb) in the white balance module, it assumes that it’s getting something else. If you use “as shot” or do actual white balancing in the WB module, color calibration may not give correct results. If you have created your own custom D65 coefficients, there’s no problem, however, and you can just ignore the warning.