GTK3 4.2.787 Zoom Center Problem

Thanks!
One small bug I noticed in GTK3 4.2.787: When making the edited image smaller or larger in editor mode, the image does not stay centred but wildly jumps around!

@Stefan check “Hide vertical scrollbar” in Preferences, restart Rawtherapee, and see if it fixes your issue.

It could be as @sguyader wrote, but as of a day or two ago RT allows you to pan the image off-center, so when you zoom in/out it will grow or shrink centered around the cursor. Pressing “f” fits-and-centers it.

Thanks! The scrollbar option didn’t change anything. But the jumping indeed has some affinity to the cursor, but it’s still random to a degree. To be more precise, sometimes the image moves towards the cursor, sometimes it moves away from it! To be honest I find this behavior not a feature but quite annoying because most of the time a large part of the image ends up being outside the screen. Any chance of making this behaviour optional?

How about you clearly describe the problem and perhaps record a screencast?
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Forum

OK, I will try to record a screencast tonight or tomorrow.

I think @Morgan_Hardwood is right and that your problem comes from zooming in while pointing the mouse outside of the image. When zooming in, RT considers that the area of interest is below the mouse cursor. If you point the cursor in the area outside of the image, RT will zoom in there, and the image will appear to go away. This behaviour is a consequence of a recent change allowing users to interact with widget tools which may extend outside of the image (for example, crop area, graduated filter…).
I think it’s just a matter of getting used to it. If your image “goes away” because you zoomed in while your mouse was pointing outside, just zoom out and zoom in again but this time pointing to the area you’re interested in.

Screencast uploaded here: http://filebin.net/owe0qd81iq
Now please don’t tell me that this behaviour is intended…:confused:

1 Like

It looks just like what I said… you zoom while pointing outside of the image. I don’t know if it’s possible to improve this while keeping the possibility to manipulate tools which extend outside. Maybe you should open an issue on Github.

I don’t know, right now this behavior does not make any sense to me. If the image is fit-to-screen size or even smaller isn’t it always preferable to have it centred instead of it jumping around aimlessly? The way it is now it sometimes looks as if the image is trying to escape outside the screen.

I moved these posts out into their own topic before they got too far OT on the other one.

1 Like

I like the zoom to follow the cursor. It seems I’m always wanting to zoom to a particular spot for a better look and it’s a lot easier to put the cursor there and zoom than it is to manipulate two scrollbars and then zoom! Many other programs also offer this feature.

I don’t say that the zoom following the cursor is a bad feauture, just that it doesn’t seem to work as expected :slight_smile:
As can be seen in the screencast, the behavior is pretty erratic and annoying when the cursor is not in the image. In this case the image more often than not moves away from the cursor.

That is the intended behavior, it comes as part of the “Humor module”…

Thank you for the screencast @Stefan, I’ve opened an issue: Preview image jumps around on canvas while zooming · Issue #3182 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

2 Likes