Guides every 5.55%

I’m a gimp newbie. Gimp 2.10.25 appimage on debian 11 bullseye.

Is there a way of creating vertical guides every 5.55% and divide the images in 18 equal slices?

Right now I’m doing it 1 at a time. It’s not too bad with 18, but I’m hoping to go to as many as 48 and then…

Thanks

The answer lies in the docs: 2.2. Guides

:thinking: Perhaps I am mistaken or dreaming: there may be plugin/module that applies a series of guidelines.

You are neither mistaken nor dreaming, @afre: Libre Arts - Advanced ways to create guides in GIMP

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

That Libre Arts guide is good but ancient. The links go to the old registry-gimp site and are broken.

There are several plugins and scripts to make guides. A simple one is guides-grid.scm (an updated version of the one shown in the article )

Looks like this:

You can get it here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=4000

Unzip it. Put guides-grid.scm in the appimage profile ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/scripts/

1 Like

Yes, ofn-preset-guides. Especially for the OP if what is needed is to apply the same series each time on new images.

1 Like

I did read it but still can’t figure out from that doc how to place the guide every 5.55%. Not just one.

I did see that while googling but it was from 2011 and didn’t know if it’s still valid and would work with python3. I don’t have python2 on my system.

Checked the website, fantastic.

Do these scripts also work with 2.10 (16bit)? What I saw refers to 2.8 (8bit).

If they are old (with/for Python 2 or GIMP 2.8), then yes, they may need tweaking. Try them first and let us know if you encounter any issues.

They indeed work in 2.10 (and the image type is irrelevant for this).

You want to add something like this to the .ini file:

• 17 guides:
18parts:18parts::[(1+x)*(1./18) for x in range(17)]:I
  • 19 guides (two additional guides on the outer edges)
18parts:18parts::[x*(1./18) for x in range(19)]:I

Once you have Gimp accept the new value (it could be better to add this to the file before adding the script to Gimp, otherwise read the doc, it explains how to have Gimp refresh the values) it will look like this:

And after execution:

PS: doing this write up I found a small bug that could impact you, so better download the latest version.

I did see that while googling but it was from 2011 and didn’t know if it’s still valid and would work with python3. I don’t have python2 on my system.

Do not worry too much about that when using the Gimp appimage-with-plugins. It does contain its own python2. However it is worth checking (use synaptic) that there is a python2 minimal installed. I think it came with the initial Debian 11 installation but I am not sure.

Ofnuts has some great plugins, They all work with the appimage. Most come with a useage html file, extract the zip and read.

For the guides plugin, the plugin and ini file go in ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/ It should alrady be executable but check.

Then, all being well, look in the Image > Guides menu

For this particular requirement I still think the script-fu I refered to is easier to use, all in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the info