Handling shade + direct sunlight with skin-tones, filmic / sigmoid preference?

A global tone mapping attempt with RawTherapee 5.8. An experimental, unusual processing.

P5020458.ORF.pp3 (12.0 KB)

2 Likes

This might be what you saw… seems like some old edit etc could invoke this with some changes that were made in DT…so it might be your edit age and version that were one of those combinations…

P5020458.ORF.xmp (8.1 KB)
P5020458_01.ORF.xmp (8.9 KB)

I tried to lift the child out of the shadows, while not flattening out all contrast completely. sigmoid and filmic versions.

A note: when wide-angle shots involve people close to the edge, I prefer to set lens correctiongeometry to stereographic. That projection does not maintain straight lines, but it does map circles to circles, which I find useful with human subjects.

10 Likes

I think that is a great tip… When I added this module to try and edit the image I was struck by how it seemed to distort the ladies head on the horizontal axis creating this effect of her jaw coming forward and hair going back resulting in unnatural dimensions… I will have to watch for this sort of effect…

Thanks for sharing this.

3 Likes

+1 I can barely tell them apart.

It’s also perfectly fine to set your white balance how you want , then load color calibration and set it as daylight for example and make small tweaks.

The warning is just that, a warning.

I also often set white balance to as shot , then color calibration to ‘as shot’ as well . Color calibration is now a sort of no-op, but you can tweak it.
Mostly because the ‘camera reference’ workflow doesn’t work for all cameras when the lighting situation is too far from daylight.

(On my Sony for instance, its unusable if the was closer to tungsten ).

Also on this image , i use the normal legacy white balance workflow… But i want to add a masked color calibration on the kid to bring the warmth up slightly.
So i set color calibration to a mode (often cam16) , set it to daylight , and nudge the temperature up a bit, then apply a mask.

Know what you are doing (and why the warning is there ), and then don’t be scared of warnings :wink: .

That’s the most brightness I’ve seen on the kid without destroying the natural look, nice ! I would warm the kid up ever so slightly , but careful enough to NOT completely remove the ‘in the shade look’.

1 Like

I’ve recently switched to the to the ‘legacy’ wb defaults, so color calibration is disabled by default. I originally tried it to remove one of the highlight reconstruction complications, but I’ve found it works just fine (no surprise really) and I find it a little quicker and simpler than the CC module. And of course, if I need the new stuff, it’s easy to switch it back on.
Again, I’m no expert… not entirely sure that I’m not missing something but it’s working well for me at the moment.

Edit: sorry I hit the wrong reply button… meant to be replying to the whole thread.