Handling Styles Created in Older Versions

Around dt 4.2 (?), I made a style that was inspired by watching s7habo’s videos (thank you!). Modules he turns on in most edits plus a few I frequently use. So it was an easy way to bulk develop photos from a shooting before doing any culling, etc.

I’m now using 4.6.1, but scratching my head…

The biggest issue are instance names. Notice I have multiple instances of diffuse or sharpen. When I created them in a previous version, I used presets. The instances showed the preset name. But in 4.6, they only show sequence numbers (0, 1, 2, etc.). So if I want to tweak something (e.g. lens deblur vs. local contrast), I’m not sure which one I need to change.

Same issue with color balance rgb. When I created the preset, I used basic colorfulness: vibrant colors preset. But that name doesn’t show after applying the style.

The second thing I noticed is lens correction. It currently uses “embedded metadata”. But when I created the style, i believe it used Lensfun. They do produce noticeably different results for my combo. Separate from figuring out which one is “more correct”, the style is not producing the same as when I created it.

Third, filmic rgb changed the curve. When I created the preset, I had set contrast in highlights and contrast in shadows to safe. Based on my experience, this was comfortable for most images. In 4.6.1, they are now set to hard. I take pictures of things with strong highlights and shadows and don’t want a lot of compression in these areas.

In the grand scheme of things, this style wasn’t hard to create. There were a few things I’d need to remember to change to work for any image (e.g. color calibration illuminant to as shot in camera, etc.), so it’s not quite as easy as starting from a “no edit” image and enabling the modules I plan on using.

Andrew Default.dtstyle (8.5 KB)

Comparison of “no edit” vs. my style (certain images, the difference is much stronger):

filmic rgb

Since no one else has answered yet I will give a poorly informed suggestion and hopefully others will provide a better answer later.

Why not apply this style, then go through each module and correct it back to what you expect or want. Then just create a new style in 4.6 so that the modules have the names and settings you expect.

I am a bit surprised this has occurred since the modules you are using existed in the earlier version and the current version. Good luck and I hope someone can give a more helpful reply.

3 Likes

4.6.1. this was the work-around. Some of the modules have names (e.g. preset), and those got saved in the style and are included when I apply it to images.

I’ll pay more attention with 4.8 and see if this issue happens at the next upgrade.