Happy Birth Day Aaron Swartz

“We won this fight because everyone made themselves the hero of their own story. Everyone took it as their job to save this crucial freedom.”

Nov 8, 1986 -Jan 11, 2013

1 Like

Still very sad that we lost such a great mind and the fact that U.S. mental health care is still terrible.

What is not terrible about the U.S. ? That country is like the lab to proof errors to not reproduce (while still trying to reinvent everything) for the rest of the Word. I will never get why Americans are so proud to be born by accident in Trumpland. I don’t get pride anyway…

You shouldn’t get me started on anti-American hate, I have been a subcriber of the NY Times for too long. :face_with_monocle:

A lot of things. I’m not sure I’d want to live anywhere else.

Sounds like an old surly wife you don’t want to leave by fear you would end up alone.

That is very cynical @anon41087856. It could also be a beautiful mate whom you accept with all her shortcomings because you tend to see the global picture. Cheers mate.
PS: I am an Indian and I have no vested interest in this discussion except the one that comes by being reasonable.

2 Likes

The United States are a country of great contrasts. Great achievements, freedoms and fantastic landscapes. Poverty and wealth stand side by side. But racism, inhuman capitalism and hegemonic aspirations have also produced great civil rights activists, liberals and fighters for equality and human rights. In the US, the freedom of the individual is anchored in a way that would be inconceivable in other parts of the world.
If a man like Trump were to be so popular in a European country, I would be really afraid for that country. But one can hope that the corrective forces in the United States will also overcome this political era in the end.