Hardware troubleshooting help requested

I haven’t had any takers on a hardware forum; does anyone here have any bright ideas?

I have two non-portable PCs, a home-theatre one (AMD A8, 8GB RAM, badly in need of an upgrade), and an image-processing workhorse (Ryzen 7-2700X, 32 GB RAM)

Seeking to upgrade my home-theatre PC, I needed a motherboard I knew worked with my existing AMD A12-9800.
So I upgraded the motherboard that used to hold the A12 and now holds a Ryzen7-2700X (my Imaging processing system, which now working even better, with new mobo, faster RAM and an M2.nvme drive as well).

Having now a mobo with RAM known to have previously worked with the board and the A12, situation is this:
Mobo: Gigabyte A320M-HD2
RAM: 2x Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 UDIMMs
CPU: AMD A12-9800
P/supply: Antec 550W

Symptom: no video display of any kind.

Things I have tried:

• used a separate video card (even though I have onboard graphics, plus the A12 has integrated GPU)
  • reset the BIOS NVRAM
  • tried 0, 1 and 2 sticks of RAM
  • a different power supply (with lower wattage)
  • yes, as well as main mobo power supply, extra CPU power connetor
  • CPU has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected, correctly inserted, new thermal paste applied, heatsink/cooler fan installed.
  • motherboard starts ok: audio shield LED comes on, CPU fan spins (I would expect a power-supply issue to turn off the CPU fan)
  • tried (briefly) running without any thermal solution - CPU got progressively warmer, seeming to indicate power consumption

Things I haven’t yet tried:

• the only case speaker I have is soldered to the old mobo I am seeking to replace; so, I could get another and check for a beep code.

What is perplexing is that - until a few hours before my first attempt at booting this system - the mobo and RAM were running reliably as they have for some years in my imaging-processing system.

Elimination would seem to suggest the A12 CPU. Yet why would it be getting steadily warmer if not functioning?

Any ideas would be welcome.

PS … one thing occurs to me: I had to update the motherboard to support the Ryzen, Surely that would not have made the A12 suddenly unsupported?!

Do you get a bios post or no?

For a media PC, raspberry pi 4 or an Intel nuc or similar should be plenty, no?

Try reverting to the old BIOS version

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply, Mica.

As mentioned, I have no ability to hear beep codes, so I cannot confirm that (yet).

As regards the required hardware, I have for many years been a mythtv fan, and record lots of free-to-air TV, from two network-connected HDHomeRun-dual devices. Unfortunately, the size of my database plus kernel-size on Ubuntu 20.04, plus basic mythtv functionality comes close to maxing out the RAM - 8GB is all my current hardware supports. The moment any com-flagging or other job starts up, swapping kills the performance.

I have a couple of Raspberry devices - a 3+ as a network-attached backup storage, and a 4 as a media device in my bedroom. The 4 could potentially replace the media PC, however the logistics of moving from a tower-case with 2 WD-Red HDDs, plus a couple of USB-3 attached HDDs to using the Pi-4 would mean quite some changes!

Thanks for the suggestion … it is on my list of things to try, but due to its risky nature, I am not keen to flash BIOS until I have eliminated every other possibility.

Another option: use a Raspberry Pi as a graphic terminal to your Ryzen - stream video over LAN.

To me it seems like bad ram, or incompatible or bad CPU.

A12-9800 is based on the old FX (pre-Ryzen) architecture… perhaps that’s why the newer BIOS caused some sort of incompatibility. Speaking from experience, a similar FX-based CPU didn’t allow booting from a NVMe drive on an Asus AM4 motherboard.

Thanks, Mica, you are confirming my fears - the CPU is likely bad. The RAM and mobo are a working match. The CPU has not been used for 18 months, and - as mentioned - not since I upgraded the BIOS on the mobo for my Ryzen7. I need to wait until 2400 UTC to get into my local Jaycar electronics to get a buzzer speaker to see if I can get a beep code.

If you have a PC repair shop near by, perhaps they could test it as well :frowning:

Thanks; I deliberately bought an A-series that was AM4 socket based to give me the opportunity to upgrade to Ryzen when funds permitted. When I did (18 months or so ago), I had similar issues because the Ryzen needed a BIOS upgrade, but I had already applied thermal solution, so had to go back to the A12 just to flash the BIOS - grr.

I am in a similar bind now - because I can’t get a video display of any kind, I could only flash the BIOS on this board if I were to resinstall the Ryzen. That, however, would mean taking my image-processing computer offline, and I am loth to dissamble something working in order to have a longshot at getting something not working working again!

Try finding somebody who is selling a Ryzen 3 CPU in your area, then bring your PC to his place and test it.

Buzzer fitted, gives a chirp on power supply powerdown, but no beep-code. Tried deliberately with a stick of RAM partially seated - no beep code. Seems the CPU is cactus. :cry:

Is the BIOS version at least F2 ? worth checking…

Yes … I updated it to 20 or so for the Ryzen7