Has anyone tried Upscayl (open source AI image upscaler)?

I stumbled across an app called Upscayl in the comments section of an article comparing different upscaling apps. It says it need a dedicated graphics card to function, so I haven’t tried it out, but I am curious to know if anyone else here has.

@patdavid if it is worthwhile, maybe we could invite the team to pixls.us?

2 Likes

These are some threads worth looking into, which also contain info about other upscalers and esrgan models:

1 Like

I did a search in the forum and nothing showed up. Maybe I spelled it wrong :roll_eyes:

1 Like

When searching, remember to click on all topics and posts, press Enter or click on the tag.

2 Likes

I tried Upscayl before, but the upscaling process took too long, prompting me to give it up. I suspect it’s because my graphics card is outdated. :sweat_smile:
Topaz and AVClabs are also too advanced for my computer, resulting in frequent crashes.
After trying the top AI image upscalers, I found that VideoProc Converter AI is suitable for me. It’s affordable, has lower system requirements, and supports batch upscaling. The upscaling results are also good; most of the time, I only upscale images to 4K or 8K.

Sadly it is not open source and also seems to be aimed at video.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not open source, but it’s affordable compared to other AI upscalers. I snagged a lifetime license on Black Friday, and it can upscale images right through the Super Resolution . :rofl:

Glad its working for you, but this forum focuses exclusive on open source. If it isn’t open source, it isn’t of much interest here. :smiley:

Been using it a lot over the past few months. Folk say there’s better AI models than ones used by UpScayl, but UpScayl’s very convenient (not to mention free). lol

:slight_smile:

You are right :smile:

I tried it out of curiosity after meeting it here for the first time. On macOS 24 M1 Sonoma 14.2.1 works great