Has librtprocess development stalled? Are any new features planned?

I was hoping librtprocess might get RawTherapee’s wonderful denoising and post-capture sharpening, are there any plans for that? I’ve tried various denoising libraries and they all suck, frankly. Using RawTherapee-CLI can be very slow for cinema DNG processing, where you have thousands of frames for just a few minutes of footage. I’m wondering if I should just switch to DaVinci Resolve, at least to make the TIFFs, but I don’t know how (plus it doesn’t run well on my Linux machine).

I think librtprocess does all it was intended, that is, to bring good demosaic algorithms of RT for others to use. CA and highlight reconstruction were just fortuitous adds. librtprocess came along right as i was about to figure out demosaic codes for rawproc, a definite boon that let me concentrate on other aspects of developing a raw processor. Denoise is really a distinct domain, maybe deserving of a separate library, if there were folk interested in doing such…

Don’t mean to turn your concern sideways, but I found switching up on cameras to be the best denoise algorithm. I was chasing dynamic range when I bought the full-frame Z 6 to replace the APS-C D7000 as my primary camera, and the corollary consideration with that was noise reduction. I just don’t have to use denoise tools anymore. YMMV, though…

For my purposes, I need to use the Canon 5D Mark III (for its raw 1080p). Eventually I’ll upgrade but I’m not sure to what.

1 Like