Has there been any progress in support for lumix s5m2 raw files?

Just got a lumix s5m2, found darktable wont open the raw files from this camera. When can we expect support for this format to be available?

I don’t think the required raw samples are available.
raw.pixls.us reports only one file:

Please read the instructions on https://raw.pixls.us/, and upload samples in all the crops (1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9).

It’s not about the samples, the codec changed and needs reverse engineering: Panasonic DC-GH6 raws are version 8 - new decompressor needed · Issue #367 · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub

1 Like

Ah OK. I only saw one entry for the camera, with only the 3:2 aspect ratio.

The reports on GitHub (either the darktable or rawspeed one) should say if more samples are expected.

1 Like

In the meantime you could consider using Adobe’s free DNG convertor to convert the RAWS into a file DT can handle. I am sure the developers will get this sorted soon.

But, if you go that way, do not automatically throw away the original raw files. You may want to go back to those when dt gets support for your camera

1 Like

100% do not throw away the RAW files. Thanks Rvietor for point that out.

I’ve used tge dng convertor, the files appear fairly dark and flat compared to images viewed on camera. Is this to be expected?

This will happen with any raw file on darktable by design.

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.6/en/overview/workflow/process/#why-doesnt-the-raw-image-look-like-the-jpeg

1 Like

Reid…welcome…you sound like you might be new to DT… In that case I suggest maybe that you go into preferences and be sure that the workflow is set to scene/sigmoid. This is the simplest setup to work with… Now when you open your image in many cases you will just have to keep adding exposure…it can be routinely 2 or 3 or even more EV depending on how you shoot…

Then you can tweak the contrast slider in sigmoid and you should have a decent starting image…

Move to the tone eq to handle any correction for shadows or highlights and then explore the various color tools in DT to get your color grade…

That is a very basic approach…You can then advance from there and add masking and blend modes for more powerful edits…

Feel free to share images here and ask questions… everyone will do their best to help you out…

2 Likes