Having trouble with my sky blueness . . . .

I know this ‘magenta thing’ and wonder about it for years. Here is another example of a IMO huge difference between the in camera jpg and a developed raw (BTW my camera is a Canon SL1 / 100D)

The in camera jpg

From RAW developed with darktable (no edit at all)

From RAW developed with Affinity Photo (again no edit).

As far as I remeber RawTherapee gave a slighly better result and darktable 3.4 with modern setting is better (less magenta) but still a different blue than the original.

EDIT: Oh and here is the CR2. Of course the Canon software DPP give the exact colours of the in camera jpg

IMG_8160.CR2 (20.8 MB)

Take this version and bump slightly the blue brightness slider in the color calibration brightness tab…these two tabs are the perfect spot to tinker with your sky…

If I am reading this correctly, it means that the module won’t have colour context of DNGs. This means you would have to set your own defaults from which to start.

For everyone’s convenience, this doc is what @Aliks is refering to darktable 4.0 user manual - color calibration

Any guidance on choosing good defaults?

Initial step I used to create some defaults:

• Open an image, work on it until you get something you like
  • Save the settings as a module preset that applies automatically

Iterative steps:

• Open a new image with automated settings applied
  • Modify it until it suits your taste
  • Compare the modules settings with the default one, and choose which changes you want to keep
  • Update the preset with new settings
  • Repeat

After some steps like that, I got sane defaults that can apply to most of my images or give me a good starting point.
Potentially, you can use conditions on ISO or lens for example to select one preset over another.
And I also have some predefined presets, that I apply manually, for specific uses: interior, exterior, night photo, portrait …

2 Likes

Would you upload the original CR3 file also?

A couple of attempts…

Second one with some attempt to keep detail in the statue

ER6_4832.dng.xmp (11.6 KB)

1 Like

Your photo was taken on 2021/01/16 3:31:55 PM in Luxor and sunset was about 5:25 PM on that day so with less than 2 hours until sunset the sun was fairly low in the sky (note long shadows) and therefore likely the light was quite warm. I gave it a rather warm color like you would have had at that time of day. I only spent about 4-5 minutes on this and I am not as skillful as some people here, but for what it is worth here it is. By the way, it is cool to see this place again. I was there in December 2009.

6 Likes

ER6_4832.CR3 (10.8 MB)

Morning @Aliks !

Would it be wiser to use Canon’s DPP software
(to produce a tiff for darktable to handle), instead
of making a dng via Adobe?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Good question.

I am using Linux exclusively and I couldn’t get DPP to run under WINE so I opted for Adobe DNG. In theory there should be no difference as its a lossless conversion, and so far I can get decent results.

Does anyone know for sure if there is a downside to .CR3 - DNG ?

I uploaded the .CR3 above in case anyone can read it.

Yes, I can read it (using Canon’s dpp on Win X).
At first glance, it looks like if Canon’s software can
squeeze a bit more out of the .cr3. Want me to try
to produce a more or less “neutral” tiff for you from it?

Yes please.

I see there is a plan for .CR3 support by May which would be good. In the meantime I am working through my 1,000 Egypt photos and getting some better understanding of the new modules, shortcuts etc.

Aurelien is great and his videos are very welcome, but I wish he would summarise a little (or at least drop the comments which would be footnotes in article) so his videos were 30 min max.

@Aliks

ER6_4832.TIF (44.5 MB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

As far as I can see with ART, there is no perceptible difference between the CR3 and the DNG except that the camera WB from the CR3 is different from the one from the DNG and is surely wrong.

1 Like

I think this is the proper way to edit such images - at least if you want to reproduce your perception of the scene and not a purely scientific rendering of an object.
Don’t rely on numbers, trust your eyes :wink:

2 Likes

i have no issues with the blue tone in this picture

moduls
rgb curve , contrast shadow highlights for shine, color calibration as polarizing filter

ER6_4832.dng.xmp (6.0 KB)

Thanks Suki - when you say color calibration as polarizing filter - how does that work? Is there an option or preset for polarizing?

Hi

how the module is set can be found in the * .xmp
attached screenshots showing how the module is set.

with opaciti you can vary the thickness
CC_01

CC_02

CC_03

2 Likes

Thanks - but is there a reason you call those settings “polarizing”?