Haze Removal bug?

Can someone please verify a bug for me? Windows 10, RT 5.5.
Haze removal works normally for me on most of my files, but one in particular is giving some weird behavior. The haze removal does not show up on the image preview, but does show up on the thumbnail. When I try the depth map, it shows all black. Is this something weird with my setup, or can others confirm?
DSCF3823.RAF (24.7 MB)

Yes, that sounds suspicious. Means that nothing is being selected for haze reduction…

PS It works for me. I am using gaaned92’s RT-5.5-64. Go here for the latest: https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/.

My version with haze removal.

PPS Maybe include your pp3. That might give us clues as to what went wrong.

I am using the version from RawTherapee.com https://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/windows/RawTherapee_5.5_WinVista_64.zip

I tried closing RT and moving the raw file to a new directory to see if it was due to the PP3. Does the PP3 follow it?
DSCF3823.RAF.pp3 (11.7 KB)

No, it doesn’t. Checking your pp3 now.

Issue verified: I get the same problem as you do!

Before

After: same but with black depth map.

So is my RT somehow corrupting it in a way that carries over to the PP3?

When you move the raw file, RT generates a new pp3 in that folder. I think it “follows” your raw file only when you leave RT open. If you close RT and move the raw file, then you only have that file until you open it again in RT. In that case, you just start with your default profile. Does that make sense?

Yes. That’s what I assumed and why I closed RT before moving the raw file. I then opened it, set it to nuetral and tried haze tool. All my other files have no issue…

Yes. RawTherapee 5.5 on my Win10 laptop gives no result after activating Haze Removal on this file. The saved jpg file also does not reflect the Haze removal application. However, the thumbnail in the browser mode shows its effect!!

If this is a strong suspect of a bug, please file one here. And see How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia.

W10, RT last dev build

• if the haze removal mask is black, there is no processing

• using your pp3, I notice that you intended to get a light and low contrast image. In those conditions, I am not surprised that Haze removal doesn’t find haze especially since there is no far background. And finally, as haze removal increases the contrast, it is contradictory with your initial intent.

• For a (very) contrasty image, haze removal is beneficial
    DSCF3823.RAF.pp3 (11.8 KB)

• I dont notice a thumbnail modification. If mask is black and thumbnail changes it is possibly a bug.

Same thing with neutral profile. But turning highlight reconstruction on changes the result completely.

And @gaaned92’s edit minus HR gives the black mask.

That doesn’t explain why the thumbnail does show the correct changes. See my original screen shots and look at the thumbnail vs the image in each.

I did more than one edit on the image trying out different things. I am not really sure what was in the pp3 I grabbed.

Overall, I would say there is definitely a bug here, as others can confirm the behavior. I am busy today, but when I get a chance I will try to file a proper bug report.

I can reproduce the bug on almost every image which has a large overexposed region.

@chaimav As a workaround, just disable Clip out-of-gamut colors and enable Highlight reconstruction

grafik

3 Likes

@heckflosse That is the first thing I do; should probably be a default for me.

Done. Please go easy on me if I messed it up, its my first one.

1 Like