HDR landscapes (Darktable) Olympus Em1

Most of these are 5 2ev shots merged in Darktable. The first image is 3 images at out 5 as there was some camera shake in the ++ shots as it was windy and forgot to turn off IS Olympus Em1 mk1 Location Kamloops Briitish Columbia. The last image is what I had to traverse for 2km on the Thompson River to bypass private property to get to the old building, 2km each way of jumping unstable boulders lol

12 Likes

I like them all, but especially the first and fifth (house) ones.

1 Like

Love the train car! Really nicely handled all around.

1 Like

Really like the blue ones, the HDR does not feel ā€œover-cookedā€ and the composition/framing kind of fit my tastes.
The strange thing for me though is that it feels like there some kind of grain/noise and the images are not detailed with stark sharp edges as it would be expected from pictures taken using a tripod ā€¦ Did you use your based ISO ? Is it an artistic choice ?

That said, gorgeous views !

2 Likes

Probably just the processing that doesnā€™t bring out the edges and noise some of them are pretty long exposures in wind and even stacked thereā€™s always going to be some noise. I personally donā€™t bother too much if any in noise reduction, unless its in the sky. Darktable doesnā€™t align the images so that could also be causing issues. I hate jumping from software to software so just stick to DT for the HDR merging.

Also Iā€™m using kit lenses and as sharp as they are they were no where near as sharp as my stolen gear like the Oly 12-100 and Panny 8-18mm

If I was making money from photography Iā€™d probably pay more attention but since its 99% for online postings I try to concentrate more on subject matter and mood/atmosphere than IQ.

1 Like

I guess you achieve your objective then, the mood is there !

PS your experiment really makes me want to try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a lua script to integrate HDR merge which does a much nicer job than the button in dt.

4 Likes

I think I looked at that some time ago. I tested out Hugin for the merging but both times I go some weird halos around mountains like you see in DT when using Shadows and Highlites module but that was only a couple tests.

HDR merge will output an exr file that you can then edit in DT.

+1
A beautiful series

Greetings from Brussels
Christian

1 Like

Great photos! Love the way youā€™ve handled the processing too. FWIW I donā€™t see any noise or lack of sharpness, except in the very last image - maybe this one isnā€™t a stackā€¦
Anyway, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

The last image is just a example image of what I had to cross to get to the house.

I thought it might be - just goes to show that even your snaps are pretty good :grin:

In the Shadow and highlights module set the soften option to bilateral filter and the halos usually disappear. BTW, you have inspired me to look more at the HDR option in DT. I liked the train and the sunset below that image the most. They were all good. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks will test it out. I upgraded Mint so will be 3.8.1 now instead of 3.0.1

1 Like

I started using dt in 3.8 as itā€™s what there was when I found it - pretty good!.. FWIW, in my opinion, if you went all the way (not suggesting you should) to the current 4.2.1 you wouldnā€™t (I think) find yourself forced into anything new if you didnā€™t want it - the new defaults can be turned off pretty much with the pixel workflow settings on ā€˜noneā€™.
But having said that, why upgrade if what you have does all youneed? I donā€™t know an answer to that reallyā€¦ :thinking: Even though I usually seem to end up on a recent ā€œbetaā€ buildā€¦

I always upgraded as wanted new features then they went crazy with the colour since and workflows and seems to be way more complex than it need to be so I stayed with the 3.0.1 version.

Hereā€™s todays edit with 3.8.1 using Olympus Live Composite Thereā€™s some issues with the left side just at the top of the mountain as that side was much brighter from the sun. I exposed for the sky but that corner was still overexposed.

3 Likes

Ooohhā€¦ lovelyā€¦

I can relate to that - Iā€™ve stuck almost entirely with using sigmoid, instead of filmic or base curve, since it came out (in 4.2.1 IIRC), and feel itā€™s the perfect compromiseā€¦ but again, thatā€™s just me.

Have to say once more, I love that shot - Iā€™ve had a dream of doing one with light trails on a highway near me (well, sorta nearā€¦ only 50kmā€¦) for ages but never get round to it. My EM5ii would be perfect with that live exposure feature. Never really used it!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been meaning to use more of the Live Composite but just havenā€™t had time last year but will be doing more this year.

Looks like Iā€™m going to have to do some reading on the new features, just smashing buttons and moving sliders to see the effects doesnā€™t seem as easy now lol

I got more live composite images here Urbanscape Photography - AREK HALUSKO

2 Likes

:grin:
Maybeā€¦ Iā€™ve settled a while ago on a small handful of modules that do almost everything. Then a few more that just get switched on or used when needed.
But I have done quite a lot of reading, now I come to think of itā€¦ :face_with_peeking_eye: