HDRMerge AppImage - first experiment

Great to see this!

@Carmelo_DrRaw if @heckflosse agrees, I think it would be best if you used libraw from GitHub. Reason being is that the latest stable is old (as is the case with RawTherapee), while the latest release - 0.18-Beta3 - is much newer, but probably unavailable in most distros.

@Morgan_Hardwood I agree if you tested it. I didn’t :wink:

That was also my initial idea, but then I ran into some issues with the LibRaw build system from git: it only provides a configure.ac file, and running autoconf was giving me some fatal errors.

Before spending time to investigate the issue, I wanted to set-up the appimage to work with a custom LibRaw version, so I picked 0.17.2.

Now I will come back to the git version and try to solve the building issue…

Great, thank you. I’ll not be able to test the new appimage before saturay evening or sunday btw…

@heckflosse @Morgan_Hardwood New appimage version, this time with LibRaw from git: https://framadrop.org/r/UC-K6kzuRX#yuDB4eYjZZZCmEVcfJfV/I1hJyPhy+kWJ4FYUXa7JIU=

Building from git was actually almost trivial…

1 Like

It works fine but it seems you didn’t use latest hdrmerge master to build it. At least it doesn’t show the libraw version when running with -vv

Yu are right, I was still using a checkout from few days ago… Now I have uploaded a version from the latest git sources, which we can probably put on the “Community Software” page. Could you maybe write a little intro to describe the package?

1 Like

We want to release a new HDRMerge version once this AppImage has been tested.

1 Like

Tested on Mint 17.2 and Sabayon. Works fine on both :slight_smile:

Mint 17 is basically the system on which I build the appimage, so it is probably not very representative…

yesterday I had it a go with a Live “Debian Dog” distribution, which has an extremely basic environment, and it was working as well (my GIMP appimage still fails on that system, for example).

Maybe @Morgan_Hardwood can give it a quick try on Gentoo?

EDIT: sorry, I did not realise that Sabayon was based on Gentoo!

@Carmelo_DrRaw runs fine in Gentoo, but the Qt theme/engine seems to be missing:

When I run my own build it looks like this:

The console output of the AppImage shows relative paths could be the cause:
https://bpaste.net/show/07a0b5eec820

It asks me every time I run it whether I want to install a shortcut.

The console output also shows you’re using glibc-2.14, is that correct? It’s probably not a problem, but it is 5 years old.

I will look into the the problem.

Concerning the libc version, the idea is to build the appimage on a relatively old system so that it can run on other old systems…

Oh, I thought AppImage handled that… so if you compiled using a newer version of glibc than I have on my system, it wouldn’t run?

Exactly. Libc itself is not bundled in the appimage, otherwise you get all kind of strange errors.

This is also the recommendation of the AppImageKit developer.

@Morgan_Hardwood @heckflosse
I have just finished setting-up an automatic AppImage creation for PhotoFlow, using Travis CI. The re-building is triggered each time there is a new commit pushed to GitHub.

Would you be interested into a similar functionality for HDRMerge? In this case, I can try to adapt what I did… should not be very difficult.

I think it’s a question for users. I can compile myself whenever I want to :slight_smile:
I imagine it’s something users would love to have.