HDRMerge AppImage - first experiment

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #1

Continuing with the idea of AppImages for end-user photography applications, I prepared a first experimental version of HDRMerge.

If anyone is interested to test it, it can be downloaded from here: https://framadrop.org/r/W0UwH228s9#Vf4HY2vzdgp0d/h5Bctu9xxs4hd6B7oS61SvGDt4Kw0=

@heckflosse you might be interested into this…

(Ingo Weyrich) #2

Which version of libraw does it use?

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #3

Good point! At the moment I am using the version supplied with my distribution, which is quite outdated. I will compile the latest version from sources and add it to the bundle.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #4

Which version do you recommend? I see that the official 0.17.2 is about 1 year old… should I take the sources from github?

(Ingo Weyrich) #5

Hmm, good question. But using 0.17.2 is still better than the old 0.15.4 which is the version supplied with my distribution. On my Sabayon system I use 0.17.2 which is much better. In fact using a newer libraw version was the reason why I asked for the hdrmerge appimage. Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #6

Do you also need the LibRAW demosaicing packs?

(Ingo Weyrich) #7

No, I don’t think so.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #8

So here is a new version with LibRaw 0.17.2 (or at least it is supposed to… ;-)).

And I think that this is the main interest in appcimages: you can run a piece of software with all the most appropriate dependencies without installing anything…

(Ingo Weyrich) #9

Where is here?

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #10

Sorry, I was doing 10 things at the same time and forgot the link… :dizzy_face:

https://framadrop.org/r/iFpfNuTRVT#ro+nvuzdSLHO9U8e6JcbgOTYn3D6jKMEXZnirWjeoRw=

(Ingo Weyrich) #11

I just tested the new appimage. It still uses an old libraw version here. You can test it using the files from Merging 3 brackets? and running hdrmerge -vv (two v, not 1 w). HDRMerge should report cblack: 2048 or 2049 in console output. The appimage still reports cblack: 0 which is the output when using an older libraw version.
I tested on a machine which has an old version of libraw btw.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #12

The first good news is that the appimage does not crash… this evening I will look into the lib raw version issue, I’m pretty sure that the solution is rather simple.

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #13

Here is a new version of the AppImage, this time correctly using LibRaw 0.17.2:
https://framadrop.org/r/5FZDFxRiC6#0by7vdRKiYVFr0DPAhfRNtmLoSRhmdh1HWlsWk3bUVg=

I also discovered a mistake in the HDRMerge sources: in two places, the LibRaw header is included like that:

#include <libraw/libraw.h>

However, the correct syntax should be

#include <libraw.h>

because the cmake configuration already sets

-I${prefix}/libraw

in the compiler options. As a consequence, the current way of including LibRaw always picks the system-wide header in

/usr/include/libraw/libraw.h

even when a custom version is being linked.

@heckflosse: to which github issue tracker should I file this bug?

(Ingo Weyrich) #14

Please file the bug here

(Ingo Weyrich) #15

@Carmelo_DrRaw Fixed, also added this

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #16

Very good!

Did you also test the appimage already?

(Mica) #17

This works on my Debian system where the GIMP AppImage does not. The Krita AppImage also works, for what it’s worth.

(Ingo Weyrich) #18

Yes, works fine on Mint 17.2. Thank you!

(Carmelo Dr Raw) #19

Should we put it on the “Community Software” page?

(Ingo Weyrich) #20

Sure. Why not?