Heading to the sun

Hello PIXLS community!

This is my first post on PIXLS.
I have recently been into photography and I am learning post processing techniques for my photos.

About the image, I took it on a street in downtown Hamburg.
People were walking toward the sun light (reflected in building glasses).

Here is my play with Darktable 4.2.0:

Here is RAW: DSC04450.ARW (23.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

4 Likes

Interesting!

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (11.4 KB)

3 Likes

DSC04450.ARW.pp3 (15.1 KB)

1 Like

Nice!
dt 4.3 using sigmoid

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (12.5 KB)

2 Likes

Your edit looks fantastic in colors and clarity.
I tried to make my edited photo emphasized on the light source while keeping other parts in dark, but it seems not to be a good choice.
Hope to learn more! :smiley:

For something a little bit different to the original post, I tried to bring the street scene out to make the people looked bathed in warm light. BTW, I used Filmic V5 with no preserve chrominance in an attempt to bring out the colors more. Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.
DSC04450.ARW.xmp (13.6 KB)

4 Likes

I like in your edit the color tone turning into OrangeRed :smiley:

Just because something is different it does not make it a good or bad choice. But you have to ask yourself as a photographer why you took the picture and what is the story you want to viewer to experience. The value of playraw can often be the extreme variety of interpretations. It is a great learning place.

It looks nice! Thanks for your edit :smiley:

I set white balance to camera reference and then used the eyedropper in color calibration module to set white balance to the footpath to remove the blue cast which I felt didn’t belong in the picture of the warm afternoon glow (personal opinion only and not necessarily correct opinion)

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.
Your edit also looks super great to me. Although the overall photo is bright, the people in the photo are focused with the warm light.
Hope to learn more on playraw!

Thanks for the image :slightly_smiling_face: I notice I’ve let the highlights ‘blow’ to near white rather more than the other versions - to me it looks natural I think, but I’m not so sure after seeing the others

Thanks for sharing the photograph.
Another of my crazy interpretations in GIMP. I have tried to emphasise the halos around the heads of the people - lots of artifacts!

acts!

2 Likes

My version…

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (13.6 KB)

2 Likes

Looks nice! The halos worked super well to me.

RT 5.9

DSC04450.jpg.out.pp3 (14,5 KB)

2 Likes

Hello,

Here is my interpretation, on the way to the light ;-).
processing with DT 4.2 and sigmoid
Welcome to the forum,

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (15.6 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

2 Likes

Nice picture for practique, thanks

ag @signatureeditsco - free raw photos from signatureedits.com _MG_9942.CR2.xmp (5.0 KB)

2 Likes

My version

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (18.5 KB)

2 Likes

DSC04450.ARW.xmp (8.5 KB)

3 Likes