Heal & Clone Tool

Are there any plans to add heal & clone tool. I use these 2 a lot and it would save a lot of time if these features were available rather than requiring an export to Gimp.

Note: I’m new to the forum and I’m sure others have brought up this topic.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! I don’t believe those two are on the roadmap anytime soon, sorry.

EDIT: I lied, sorry. There is a clone tool :smiley:

Not sure if you are aware of this but RawTherapee does have a Spot Removal tool, which is basically a simple clone tool.

Tools to do more complex healing/cloning, as already mentioned by Mica, aren’t planned as of yet.

1 Like

In dev there is a spot removal tool

I don’t see the spot removal option under detail option. Ok, I’m running v5.8 which doesn’t include this tool so I guess it’s one in development. If so which is the latest and where do I find the most stable? Not a coder, however, I’m pretty good at figuring things out. If Spot Removal Tool is satisfactory, I can kick Lightroom to the curb and it allows me to correct photos with spots and blemishes in the raw before exporting to Gimp.

Thanks

Kevin “C.” Prince

That is a correct assumption.

You don’t mention an OS, download the appropriate development version from either of these:

Running Windows 10.

Thanks

Kevin “C.” Prince

For Windows 10 which would be the best one? Again, I’m not a coder so much of the syntax I don’t understand yet. However, within a week or so I’ll have the basics.

Kevin “C.” Prince

Running Windows 10.

Thanks

Kevin “C.” Prince

Running AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8 Core 3.20GHz with 16 GB memory. With that said which version would best serve me? I’m booting and saving apps to 500GB SSD drive and storing data to 4TB hard drive.

Kevin “C.” Prince

For Windows 10 which would be the best one? Again, I’m not a coder so much of the syntax I don’t understand yet. However, within a week or so I’ll have the basics.

Kevin “C.” Prince

Running Windows 10.

Thanks

Kevin “C.” Prince

I haven’t used Windows in close to 25 years but looking at the names I think you should choose either of these 2:

• RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3015-g35e6a0e40_W64_generic_210806.7z
  • RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3015-g35e6a0e40_W64_znver2_210806.7z

The first one is the safe bet, the second one seems to be AMD Zen 2 specific and if I’m not mistaken the Ryzen 7 is 2nd generation Zen based. This one might be a bit faster on your box.

The other ones (Haswell, Skylake and Icelake) are Intel specific, don’t use those on an AMD machine.

These development versions don’t require any extra skills on your side of things. Other people, @gaaned92 (thanks!) in this specific case, did all the hard work to make them publicly available.

1 Like

I’ve been processing some negatives lately and the spot removal tool is awesome, quick and easy to use and does the job well. :+1:

2 Likes

For some reason the spot removal tool isn’t working. I’ve been playing with it for a while but it’s not functioning. Getting solid and dashed circle adjust size, feather etc but nothing happens.

Kevin “C.” Prince

Did you activate the module ? You can add points even when it’s off.

Played around with the spot tool and it works fine. By chance are there plans to develop a healing brush. I use them on age lines and it would be great if that were available. I know Gimp has that function but I like doing all my basic editing in raw and the detail in Gimp.

Any plans for a healing brush for Rawthereapee? Didn’t see one in Darktable either.

There is one in darktable, in the retouch module.