Heavily inspired by Titarenko, some single-shot long exposures.

I love street photography, it may very well be my favourite avenue of photography. Couple that with a long exposure and I’m nerdgasm central.

Here are some of my recent attempts at something like Titarenko’s work.

6 Likes

Hello Radu, I don’t know Titarenko, but I love street photography as well. For me, that’s about people, but your subjects tend to vanish, what makes me wondering what you want to show.
Did you shoot on film btw ?

Hi, @paulmatthijsse.

I shoot on digital exclusively.

And to answer your question about my vanishing subjects, first and foremost it’s about aesthetics - I just love how daytime long exposure looks.

Secondly, regarding meaning - I am trying to portray the fleeting nature of man, or how we go through life, sometimes without leaving any trace, without learning anything, oblivious to the afterlife and it’s implications, minding our own business, wreckless and selfish, individualistic and scared. Like ghosts.

That’s why I call this series Ghosts of the City.

Thank you for your interest.

1 Like

Hello @zerosapte. Well, not a very optimistic worldview. On the other hand there are many indicators that make it hard to stay optimistic… On yet another hand, that this planet is systematically destroyed because money is king, isn’t the fault of those ordinary ‘ghost people’ in the streets. Just my point of view.

I have had such a ‘vague’ period as well, using long shutter times and exposing my models or myself by hand, with a pocket light or some matches, mostly inside and in the dark.

Some periods later I was fond of multi-exposure photos. Here’s an example taken a long time ago in Paris, on the Pont Neuf that was packed by Christo. Mamiya 645, 8 exposures on 1 negative (Kodak Panatomic-X to be precise, developed in D-76).

Regards, Paul.

2 Likes