Help in geotagging with OsmAnd

Hi.
This is the first time I’m trying to do this in darktable, and couldn’ find help in the manual or the forum.
When I import a gpx file and apply it to some photos it does nothing: there’s a message saying it applied matched gpx to zero images (not with these exact words).
I’m not sure if I’m handling the right gpx file (they are available here in my GDrive), and if it is darktable compliant. It was produced after I recorded a track and downloaded it to th same folder where the images are.
Also, I’m aware that the camera date/time must match that of the gpx logs, and that there’s a way to change the images to get them in sync with the gpx logs, but so far I couldn’t even find where time and time zone are inside the gpx files.
What I missed: taking a photo of my cellphone clock before starting recording the track. But I’m willing to go the trial and error way this time.
Any help will be appreciated.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/module-reference/utility-modules/shared/geotagging/

1 Like

@wpferguson thank you. It worked.
Now it’s only a matter of mastering OsmAnd, which I still find a bit confusing, and starting to see how geotags can help me organizing my library from now on - besides the cool but scary functionality around it concerning images posted in social media.

1 Like

I use OsmAmd all the time. Ask away!

Thanks, @paperdigits, I know, I’ve seen you mentioning it in other threads.

For now it’s not clear the difference between tracks and routes, and some glitches like loosing tracks because I keep forgetting to turn REC on, but you know, I still haven’t read the manual so… rtfm before asking Mica! I keep saying to myself.

I will ask, if I don’t find something there, thanks.

Routes = places to go

Tracks = a record of where I’ve been.

Thanks.
So, if I want to go for a photographic drive, it would be enough to simply open OsmAnd and start recording.
Places to go smells like planning, which doesn’t fit well with random photographic drives or walks. At least, not for an amateur like me.

Right, that’s what I do…

I have a bunch of Points that I’ve saved from doing research online. I tap that point, and then get directions so I can drive/walk/whatever to that spot. I end the navigation when I get there.

I get my gear out, check that the camera and phone both have the same time, then I start recording in OsmAnd. When I’m done photo making, I save the track. The nice thing, as I’m sure you’ve found, is that the tracks are just gpx files on your phone’s file system. I usually upload those gpx files to my nextcloud and get them that way, though plugging in the phone to the computer is just the same.

I tend to keep the tracks files on my phone as well, so if I go back to a place, I can see where I’ve been.

2 Likes

Also, download the offline maps while on WiFi if you can.

1 Like

Thanks, good tips, way more professional than my random amateur shooting.
But now I see clearly what can I do with it.