Help with display of CR2 images

I am new to Darktable, and I have imported my first images in CR2 format, using windows. In darkroom, I observe that the right half of all pictures displayed are shown with coarse pixels. In the attached screen snapshot, take a look at the upper right ridge of the small mountain, illustrating the issue. The display mode is “fit”, and the coarsening vanishes if I zoom. This may be an installation issue / graphics card issue, but I would appreciate all suggestions for fixing the poblem.
snap

Hej Tor & welcome!

darktable version?
Could you share the .CR2 file?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sverige

Hi Claes, thanks for a swift reply! It happens to all of my CR2-files. I import by drag-and-drop into the lighttable. Here is an example file.
IMG_6893.CR2 (23.8 MB)

What happens if you just open the file… go to import… add to library and open it…?? I have no issues on my old PC at work opening it…what version or DT?? What if you disable opencl…

It opens just fine for me in dt 4.4.2. I open it via the lighttable - add to library button, though. I don’t think I’ve ever tried drag and drop.

Works for me with DT 4.4.2. Quite an interesting photo…
Works for both drag-n-drop as well as the “add to library”.

IMG_6893.CR2.xmp (19.2 KB)

1 Like

I just tried both and it was fine… however one thing this image presents for me is, and I feel like I have seen this before with canon images and maybe even it was from this camera model that they are not sharp. I wonder if this is how it looks when a much higher res image is scaled in DT to my std HD monitor. I should look at it in another program but the image for me is just overall very lacking in detail almost blurred and I wonder if it is happening from down scaling??

Could be just sensor resolution & therefore, perceived detail? The EOS 7D features an 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor. The image to me looks OK - the focus point I would guess is slightly less than a third from the bottom of the frame? The blades of grass seem to be more distinct at about that plane - the rest being taken care of by the DoF at f/13.

Therefore, I don’t think adjusting the sensor will change the perceived detail. However, if the OP wishes to do so - instructions here: how to calibrate the canon 7d for accurate focus

1 Like

Well this was one comment from the video you linked …so maybe it can be an issue … I just figured it was how the preview was being handled…

“Still works 2022, on my 2nd hand 7D that was so soft I almost threw it in the trash. Im amazed anyone used my camera feeling it was ok. I ended up -14… Thank you!”

Thanks to all for replies, which unfortunately not have brought me any further. Except that hearing that it loads OK for others, makes me suspect this is a darkroom/pc hardware problem. The image looks fine in Canon’s own Digital Photo Professional 4 and in the default Microsoft image viewer. I have now in vain tried various graphics setting on my HP pc (with AMD Radeon HD 8650G). My graphics driver is up-to-date. Changing the way I import images into darktable does not help. I have yet not found out how to disable OpenCL, so advice will be appreciated.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/preferences-settings/processing/#cpu--gpu--memory

under

activate OpenCL support

1 Like

Deactivating OpenCL fixed the issue. I am now ready to proceed to understand all options… User support so far has been excellent, so thanks to everyone for quick replies and great help!

2 Likes

Are you using the drivers from the AMD website?

No, the driver seems to be delivered by Microsoft - and checking again it seems to be fairly old - 2006. It is windows that tells me it is up-to-date. Scanning the AMD web page, I am not able to find the 8650G in the driver list.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a10-series-apu-for-laptops/a10-5750m-radeon-hd-8650g

Also make sure you disable Windows opencl compatibility drivers (sometimes installed by default)

1 Like

I have now updated the driver to the 2016 version, and the image displays perfectly both with and without OpenCL enabled. Maybe I should buy a newer pc… Anyway, thanks again for patience with a novise user and for great help! I am looking forward to playing with the application.

4 Likes

IDK. It looks absolutely fine to me. This isn’t a Play Raw, so I’m not sure if I should post my edit.

1 Like

I think we should be respectful of the original scope of the post. If OP wants to make a Play Raw, they certainly can.

I agree, and I did not try to treat this post that way. Maybe I didn’t say it well, but I was trying to say that the image converted very well for me and also it seemed to be a clear, good image, but that I shouldn’t post an example of what I saw, because of the thread scope.

3 Likes

The issue was resolved. Old OpenCL drivers rendered the image incorrectly.

2 Likes