Herons and their offspring

Normally you can’t get closer than 200 metres to herons. But these had their nest on a small island in a small pond about 50 metres away.
(Presented in no particular order)

I stayed about 4 hours in 2 days at high temperature to get these pictures. Now I can imagine (at least a little bit) what photographers like Andy Astbury have to suffer to get their images…

11 Likes

In the parks in my area, you can get a lot closer. I’ve ridden past them, on my bike, wading in the canal maybe 30 meters or a little less.

Christ this is great! it’s hard to get close of these birds like you said. Cool pictures, I like especially H2, H5, H6, H8, :smiley:

1 Like

But in my experience, as soon as you stop for a better look (let alone a photo), they’re gone…

My experience is similar to yours, Kurt - when on an island the birds feel secure enough to ignore the long lenses pointed their way from across the water. … not wanting to hijack your thread, Kurt, I created a different one here

these are pretty used to having people around staring at the… they
just stand there, looking for more fish… :wink:

@lylejk this was not a playraw, but rather a Showcase. I don’t think photos in this category are for others to manipulate.

Ah; didn’t know the distinction. Now I do. Sorry about that. I’ll remove my posts. :slight_smile:

At least I think you liked the images - otherwise you wouldn’t have worked with them.

1 Like

Definitely so, Kurt; really like nature captures such as this. :slight_smile: