High contrasts in a man made wilderness

Have fun and show me how you are treating these contrasts:

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (14.9 KB)

Here is the RAW:
IMG_4181.CR3 (29.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

15 Likes

Nice composition, and you kept the full dynamic range in the sensor’s resolution. That however, put the shadows in the well, so to speak.

I get a lot of that in my captures, for extreme cases I do a two-part tone curve: 1) loggamma, lifts the shadows out of that well into the range shape-able by 2) a control point curve:

Color contrast is also a thing; I injected some HSV saturation damage early in the toolchain to do that. Kinda takes it out of the realm of realism, though.

3 Likes

darktable 4.6.1

IMG_4181_02.CR3.xmp (17.8 KB)

2 Likes

Well it’s quite natural in live that on a sunny day you hardly see what lies in the deep shadow of a bush or whatever. I think one of the biggest errors on such a theme is, to try to make literally everthing visable. That usually leads to a flat and boring pic. The question is how far do one rise the shadows.

1 Like

My version…

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (26.3 KB)

12 Likes

Indeed. Most scenes provide two or more gallons of range, and most sensors can only accommodate one gallon, so to speak… :crazy_face:

My tone tools are simple, global. I sometimes wish I had some of the local tools available in dt, but I’ve grown too lazy to figure them out and code them…

1 Like

My version. Give it a nice idyllic and hazy look of early morning sun

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (15.4 KB)

3 Likes

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (14.4 KB)

8 Likes

Thank you for the play. Edit with ART, GIMP and G’MIC:

4 Likes

Taking up your idea. That’s the way I would do it:

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (15.9 KB)

5 Likes

It is a beautiful scene, so I didn’t want to do anything drastic. dt 4.6.1

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (7.6 KB)

6 Likes

gimp 2.10.30

4 Likes

Nice play, not so easy!
Had to cheat a little to get a somewhat blueish sky …

IMG_4181_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15.1 KB)

6 Likes

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (16.1 KB)

3 Likes

A quick go, but I didn’t manage to get the yellow glow like the original post.
IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (23.5 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s my shot…apparently I didn’t want to see a well lit, sunshine and morning dew image…
Edited in DT 4.2, leaned heavily on the contrast equalizer and graduated density filter.
IMG_4181.CR3 (29.7 MB)

3 Likes

“Natural” and somewhat hazy look.

IMG_4181.CR3.xmp (19.3 KB)

5 Likes

My - fun in GIMP
Original jpeg file GIMP Quality 90 => 10.6 MB

and
Saving as jpegli => Quality 50 => 3,.08 MB (XL Converter)

3 Likes

Hello with Art 1.21.2

6 Likes

Here is my rendition, using darktable and my own image formation code based on a film simulation. I added in the simulation some preflashing of the paper to try to contain a bit the highlights on my high-contrast virtual paper.

6 Likes